Condition formatting for tolerancing

HighSpeed

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have found a lot of info about using conditional formatting to indicate tolerances but not quite what I'm looking for. I don't know if this is even possible.

I am modifying a dimensional checking sheet to show if a measured dimension is out of tolerance, IF there is a tolerance for that particular dimension. We do get drawings both in imperial and metric but we only use metric equipment, so I also have the converted dim next to the drawing dim. See attached pic.

I have a column (B8:B38) which has the nominal dimension shown. Next to that, I have another column which will be a tolerance if a tolerance is required for that particular nominal dim, which I will enter as a positive value to keep it simple. I have conditional formatting working fine when there is a tolerance by having 2 rules - if value is less than nominal, then colour text red, and if value is more than nominal plus tolerance, then colour text red. This is where it goes wrong... if there is no tolerance, I don't want to colour the text. If I have no number in the tolerance cell and the measured value is less than the nominal value, it is colouring the text. It will not colour the text if the measured value is above the nominal dim.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "if tolerance cell has a number, then use conditional formatting, otherwise do not use conditional formatting". I just don't know how to go about that, or if it is even possible to do with conditional formatting. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 42

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
=AND( Cell <> "", Cell = tolerance )

as a conditional formatting rule

so just add the AND( Cell <> "" , your existing formula)

BUT

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Upvote 0
=AND( Cell <> "", Cell = tolerance )

as a conditional formatting rule

so just add the AND( Cell <> "" , your existing formula)

BUT

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed
Thanks Wayne. I've got it installed but cannot get XL2BB to work... there is nothing proprietary in the sheet anyway but for simplicity I've uploaded the appropriate section to a sample sheet - Sample Inspection.xlsx

I currently use the "Cell value < $C2" and "Cell value > $C2+$E2" rules for the conditional formatting. How would I express that in formula instead, in order to include the AND argument? Can I just use literally "Cell Value"? Apologies, I don't use formulas enough to wrap my head around this.

Upvote 0
Hello,

A general approach: apply the conditional format formula:
Excel Formula:
=Cell<>MEDIAN(Cell,Cell-Lower_Tolerance,Cell+Upper_Tolerance)
If a cell has no tolerance boundaries, set both lower and upper tolerance to 1e200.

Regards,
Bernd

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=Cell<>MEDIAN(Cell,Cell-Lower_Tolerance,Cell+Upper_Tolerance)
Of course the last two "Cell" references need to refer to another reference cell or you omit them to make the tolerance boundaries absolute one's.

Upvote 0
you have 2 rules
cell value < $C2
and
Cell value > $C2+$E2

and that applies to F2:G32

so we can change that to add a formula

=AND ( F2 < $C2 , $C2<>"" )

But your existing rules are comparing the value in column C to F & G
is that what you want to be comparing ?

just to help others - i have used XL2BB here to show the linked file - NOTHING Changed

[
Sample Inspection.xlsx
ABCDEFG
1OPERATIONDRG DIM (Imperial)DRG DIM (Metric)TOLERANCE (Imperial)TOLERANCE (Metric)12
2O/D 114.490368.050.0050.13368.30
3O/D 2  
4O/D 3  
5O/D 4  
6O/D 5  
7I/D 19.994253.850.0120.30253.89
8I/D 2  
9I/D 3  
10I/D 4  
11I/D 5  
12I/D 6  
13LENGTH 11.77044.960.0200.5144.98
14LENGTH 20.56014.22 14.20
15LENGTH 313.250336.55 336.52
16LENGTH 4  
17LENGTH 5  
18LENGTH 6  
19LENGTH 7  
20LENGTH 8  
21LENGTH 9  
22LENGTH 10  
23THREAD 1 
24THREAD 2 
25THREAD 3 
26DRILL HOLES 10.56314.30 14.30
27DRILL HOLES 20.81320.65 20.68
28DRILL HOLES 3  
29DRILL HOLES 4  
30KEYWAY 1  
31KEYWAY 2  
32KEYWAY 3  
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C22,E2:E32,C26:C32C2=IF(ISNUMBER(B2),B2*25.4,"")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B26:B27Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES
B2:B7Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES
B8:B15Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES
F2:G32Cell Value<$C2textNO
F2:G32Cell Value>$C2+$E2textNO
A28:C32,A23:B25,A16:C22,A1:G1,C2:G2,A2:A15,C3:C15,A26:A27,C26:C27,D3:G32Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES

Upvote 0
Really appreciate the ideas. I'm so out of touch on this stuff... I'm somewhat confused about what I should actually have in the formula bar. Do I delete the two rules I have in there now and create a new formula rule " =AND(F2<$C2,$C2<>"") " Having tried just that and not seeing any difference, I'm guessing I'm missing something?? Please remember what some people think of as a given, will not necessarily occur to someone else. I know full well I'm out of my depth, hence why I'm asking on here. When I started this, I was trying to work out if there is a way to add an IF(ISNUMBER) argument to conditional formatting. If there is no number in the tolerance column, then don't format the resulting cell(s). It seems simple to me but I havent got the faintest idea how to APPLY that to conditional formatting.

Having the two rules that are there now works fine when there is a tolerance. It might be a "messy" way to do it but the spreadsheet is simple and a little bit of bloat is not an issue.

Columns C & E are there to convert imperial measurements to metric. Columns F to O are the physically checked dimensions from the part and need to be compared to the values in C & E, changing colour if it is out of tolerance, but ONLY if there is a tolerance for that line.

As far as the XL2BB goes, I installed it but only had 2 buttons to pick from and both were greyed out. Hence why I said I couldnt get it to work. It threw up a message saying something about disabling macros and went into some kind of protected mode. I'm rather paranoid about giving access to my computer for anything I dont know well and using a dropbox linked file is easy enough so I left it at that.

Upvote 0
Please remember what some people think of as a given, will not necessarily occur to someone else.
I understand and usually will try not to make too many assumptions - but may have here

I have looked at the dropbox link and tried to understand the spreadsheet from your text - but that is not quite making sense to me

looking at the columns A to G in your spreadsheet
OPERATIONDRG DIM (Imperial)DRG DIM (Metric)TOLERANCE (Imperial)TOLERANCE (Metric)12
Column D and E are labelled Tolerance
Columns C & E are there to convert imperial measurements to metric.
However you mention C & E - convert NOT tolerance
Columns F to O are the physically checked dimensions from the part and need to be compared to the values in C & E, changing colour if it is out of tolerance,
F has a 1 as label and G has a 2
You say this would go from F to O , as checked dimensions
What do those 10 columns check ???

but ONLY if there is a tolerance for that line.

I would Assume - and not doing that - so asking here
That the tolerance is in D & E

So if D or E is blan , then do not highlight column F to O
but which tolerance are we looking at for each of those columns

Is it that BOTH D and E will be blank - then do not conditional format

you have 2 rules which make the text RED

as mentioned in previous post
you have 2 rules
cell value < $C2
and
Cell value > $C2+$E2

and that applies to F2:G32

=AND(F2<$C2,$D2<>"",$E2<>"",F2<>"")
=AND(F2 > $C2+$E2 ,$D2<>"",$E2<>"",F2<>"")

so the only cell that will highlight is
F2
and NOT
row 14 or 15 or 26 - as those rows have NO entry in columns D & E

or have i completely misunderstood -

I have a link here with those formulas entered - and i have formatted with a FILL as well as the text - that can be changed - but wanted a good visual indication

Sample Inspection-ETAF.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
1OPERATIONDRG DIM (Imperial)DRG DIM (Metric)TOLERANCE (Imperial)TOLERANCE (Metric)12
2O/D 114.490368.050.0050.13368.30Columns C & E are there to convert imperial measurements to metric. Columns F to O are the physically checked dimensions from the part and need to be compared to the values in C & E, changing colour if it is out of tolerance, but ONLY if there is a tolerance for that line.
3O/D 2  
4O/D 3  
5O/D 4  
6O/D 5  
7I/D 19.994253.850.0120.30253.89
8I/D 2  
9I/D 3  
10I/D 4  
11I/D 5  
12I/D 6  
13LENGTH 11.77044.960.0200.5144.98
14LENGTH 20.56014.22 14.20
15LENGTH 313.250336.55 336.52
16LENGTH 4  
17LENGTH 5  
18LENGTH 6  
19LENGTH 7  
20LENGTH 8  
21LENGTH 9  
22LENGTH 10  
23THREAD 1 
24THREAD 2 
25THREAD 3 
26DRILL HOLES 10.56314.30 14.30
27DRILL HOLES 20.81320.65 20.68
28DRILL HOLES 3  
29DRILL HOLES 4  
30KEYWAY 1  
31KEYWAY 2  
32KEYWAY 3  
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C22,E2:E32,C26:C32C2=IF(ISNUMBER(B2),B2*25.4,"")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
F2:G33Expression=AND(F2 > $C2+$E2,$D2<>"",$E2<>"",F2<>"")textNO
F2:G33Expression=AND(F2<$C2,$D2<>"",$E2<>"",F2<>"")textNO
B26:B27Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES
B2:B7Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES
B8:B15Expression=MOD(ROW(),2)=0textYES

Upvote 0
Solution
Reading my own comments, I may be guilty of doing the same thing! Sorry... So when we make certain parts from a drawing, the parts need to be checked off against the manufacturing drawing. Generally for us, that will be 10 or less parts... those checked dimensions will be entered into columns F - O. For simplicity, assume I'm only checking one part and disregard columns G-O completely - treat column F as the only column that needs conditional formatting. More often than not for whatever reason, one particular customer gives us drawings with imperial dimensions. As all of our machines and measuring gear are all metric, I needed a simple way to convert the imperial dims to metric so I can check them without having to use a calculator every time. The drawing dimension is entered in column B and column C will simply convert that imperial dimension to metric with =IF(ISNUMBER(B2),B2*25.4,""). In the same way, if there is a critical part that requires a tolerance, then I will put it in the tolerance column. The imperial columns for this exercise are basically irrelevant to the conditional formatting - the converted metric data is what I'm actually checking, so if it makes it easier, columns B & D can just be hidden.

That file is exactly what I'm trying to do. Legend! I just couldn't get my head around the way it had to be entered as a formula. Apologies for my lack of clarity but you have hit the nail on the head anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back