Condition Formula

kramart

Hi,
I have this table ... this is a part of millions of records.

I have functions that show if STAT is 1 or 0, if type is E, if type is CA. This example shows that the same work 24188686 has one E and two CA. If I filter columns I can see either E or CA from the same work.

I would like to have some formula in the column COMBINE that would check in the first row : if type CA = 0 then check if there are CA's with the same WORKREF as E and if true return value 1.

The same approach for rows where E =0 to check if there are E's with the same WORKREF as CA and return value 1.

The idea is that then I can sum these four columns and filter column TOTAL to show all values =3.

WORKREFSTATTYPEIF STATE =1IF TYPE = EIF TYPE = CACOMBINETOTAL
241886861E11013
241886861CA10113
241886861CA101
4455660CA001

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hope that make sense.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

A

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
kramart, my intuition says that, whatever it is you're trying to do, there's a more efficient way. However, given the information you've provided, and assuming the upper left-hand corner of your table is in A1, copy the formula below to F2 and drag down Column F as far as you need:

=IF(F2=0,(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,C:C,"CA")>0)+0,IF(E2=0,(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,C:C,"E")>0)+0,0))

If your table doesn't begin at A1 and you'd like to provide the table name or the start location, I'd be happy to adapt the formula to your specific situation.

Upvote 0
the3 way I understand this, you can do it all with 1 helper column...
=(B2=1)+(C2="e")+(C2="ca")+AND(C2="E",COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$5,A$2,$C$2:$C$5,"CA")>0)

This breaks down to...
D2=--(B2=1)
E2=--(C2="e")
F2=--(C2="ca")
G2=--AND(C2="E",COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$5,A$2,$C$2:$C$5,"CA")>0)

Not sure how you get 1 in G3 (Combine, row 2)?

Upvote 0
Ford, the +0 is one way to turn a "TRUE" or "FALSE" into its corresponding number, 1 or 0. Other ways include adding *1 or prefacing the condition with --.

So ...

COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,C:C,"CA")>0)+0

... means "Find the number of instances where Column A contains the Work Ref from this row and Column C is 'CA.' Tell me whether it's TRUE or FALSE that this number of instances is more than 0. Then convert that logical word to a number, either 1 or 0, and put that in the cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ford, the +0 is one way to turn a "TRUE" or "FALSE" into its corresponding number, 1 or 0. Other ways include adding *1 or prefacing the condition with --.

Yes, I know what it does, but don't see the need for it? COUNTIFS will return a number 0 or greater, so "converting to a number" seems redundant?

Upvote 0
Ya know, it would help if I actually read the whole formula...
,(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,C:C,"CA")>0)+0,
apologies lol

another way...
--(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,C:C,"CA")>0)

Upvote 0
Hi Erik,

Many thanks for your code. It is almost what I need. This is an example where three works have the same WORKREF but there is no E.

WORKREFSTATTYPEIF STATE =1IF TYPE = EIF TYPE = CACOMBINETOTAL
241881CA10102
241881CA10102
241881CA101
4455660CA001

<tbody>
</tbody>

There are some cases where there are few works with the same WORKREF number but they all are CA. I would like to take this into account and if there is no E in the column TYPE that would have the same WORKREF number as CA's then the formula should return 0.

Just to give you additional information.

This is just a simplified version of my table. There are more columns with diferent references and the outcomes in coulumns
IF STATE =1,IF TYPE = E,IF TYPE = CA

<tbody>
</tbody>

are depending on other tables. I am using formulas vlookup, search etc. Below there is an example where outcomes in the last two columns are 0 because certain conditions wasn't met.

69651001001CA100
69651001001CA100
69651001001CA100
69651001001CA100
69651001001E100
69651001001SE100

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Hop that makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Art

Upvote 0
Hi Ford,

Many thanks for your input but to be hones I don't understand your code ... could you take me trough it please ?

the3 way I understand this, you can do it all with 1 helper column...
=(B2=1)+(C2="e")+(C2="ca")+AND(C2="E",COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$5,A$2,$C$2:$C$5,"CA")>0)

This breaks down to...
D2=--(B2=1)
E2=--(C2="e")
F2=--(C2="ca")
G2=--AND(C2="E",COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$5,A$2,$C$2:$C$5,"CA")>0)

Cheers,

Art

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back