Conditional Formating - Highlight Differences Across Multiple Columns

kijjet

I have been searching and searching and I can't seem to find anything that works. I've tried what feels like 800 different ways, based on other threads I found, but none seem to work. Any help you can offer is appreciated!

Background:
I am using Excel 2010. I want to compare two different versions of a quote (ie: "V1" & "V2", V for version) and highlight any differences in product code and price. It is further complicated because product codes are often added or deleted from "Version 2" of the quote, making the rows not line up correctly. (Because I don't know a better way), I've created a macro that does a simple "Insert" on any cells I have selected (ie: Right Click > Insert...). That allows me to realign the two versions. However inserting new cells does a number on any conditional formatting I have applied. I would like help determining the best way to highlight differences in the data, that will still work (or can easily be reapplied with a macro) after the data is realigned.

Here is some sample data:

V1_ProductV1_Product_PriceV1_Service_PriceV2_ProductV2_Product_PriceV3_Service_Price
Console100100Console150100
Drives100100Drives10050
Nodes100100Nodes100100
Cables100100Software100100
Cables100100

<tbody>
</tbody>

In my current setup, I would manually realign V1 so the Cables entry & associated prices would be in A6:C6, A5:C5 would be blank (newly added) cells. I would love to know if there's a non-manual way to realign (without sorting because the order of the Product is significant). I would also like to know how to conditionally format the columns so any differences between V1 and V2 are highlighted. In the example above, I would expect to see cells B2 and E2 highlighted and C3 and F3. Also, once V1 was realigned so the Cables entry was in cells A6:C6, I would expect to see cells D5:F5 highlighted to show that Software is a newly added item.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelevnt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back