conditional formatting a pivot table

vapidgeezer

In columns A through G I have a pivot table that totals the number of complaints by product for the last 6 months. In column H I have a statistically derived threshold level.

A B C D E F G H
Jan Feb March April May June Threshold
Product 1 0 5 0 0 1 0 1.5
Product 2 0 2 0 0 9 0 2.5

I would like to conditionally format each cell B through G for that row based on the value in column H. Red if above the Threshold Green if below.

Two part Question: 1) The spreadsheet has some 400,000 products so I do not want to create the conditional formatting for each row separately. I do not understand how to set the relative references so that they formating rules can be copied down to subsequent rows. 2) I would like to be able to filter the pivot table and have the conditional formatting update based on the filter.

My company uses Excel 2007 Windows XP. I have access to excel 2011 on a Mac also.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
If the table you posted is in the range A1:H3, select B2:G3 and use the conditional formatting formulas:

=B2 < $H2

=B2 > $H2

Upvote 0
My version of excel (2007 windows xp) gives me an error that says that
"You cannot use relative references in conditional formatting criteria for color scales, data bars, and icon sets"

I can use an absolute format one row at a time but I have 400,000 some rows to format which is a pain manually. Do I need to set up a macro?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back