Conditional Formatting for Multiple Criteria, Blank and Non-Blank Cells

Webbers

I have been trying to figure out how to do this for the last few hours, so first of all, your help and time is greatly appreciated!

Okay, I need to integrate a conditional format into my current spreadsheet that factors in multiple criteria in order to flag a cell.
F3 - Status - Multiple status are available. This flag applies to all status except for "Complete", there are approximately 12, I would like to avoid listing them individually if possible.

H3, J3, DJ3, DK3, and DL3 - These fields MUST have values entered. If these cells have any blank cells, the flag will not be triggered.

P3 - This cell must be blank.

If all of the above criteria have been met, then the flag will be triggered. This conditional format is for column A (which has an ID #). Once updates have been posted cell P3 (previously blank) will have values populated, and the flag in column A will disappear. The formula I have come up with is below, but obviously is not a workable option. Thanks again!

=AND(NOT($F3="Complete"),NOT(ISBLANK(H3),NOT(ISBLANK(J3),NOT(ISBLANK(DJ3),NOT(ISBLANK(DK3),NOT(ISBLANK(DL3),ISBLANK(P3)))))))

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
=AND(NOT($F3="Complete"),NOT(ISBLANK(H3),NOT(ISBLANK(J3),NOT(ISBLANK(DJ3),NOT(ISBLANK(DK3),NOT(ISBLANK(DL3),ISBLANK(P3)))))))

obviously is not a workable option

why not use that ?

NOT($F3="Complete")

you could use

$F3<>"Complete"
H3<>""
J3<>""
etc

Upvote 0
etaf----

First of all, the formula I wrote, aside from being more complicated than what you suggested, was not an option because Excel wouldn't accept the formula. I am assuming my sytex was off somewhere. Anyways, I tried your suggestion, and aside from being way more simple, there were no issues with syntex... it worked perfectly! beclow is the formula I am now using. I have already tested it and it works letter perfect. Thanks so much for your help, as usual, the awesome people on this forum have came through again... they always do!

=AND($F3<>"Complete",H3<>"",J3<>"",DJ3<>"",DK3<>"",DL3<>"",P3="")

Upvote 0
thanks for the update - i didnt think to check for the syntex

you needed a ) to complete each of the NOT statements

=AND(NOT($F3="Complete"),NOT(ISBLANK(H3)),NOT(ISBLANK(J3)),NOT(ISBLANK(DJ3)),NOT(ISBLANK(DK3)),NOT(ISBLANK(DL3)),ISBLANK(P3))

Upvote 0
etaf---

I see what ya did on the syntex... I attempted to close each statement at the end, and of course, Excel did NOT like that. But regardless, your proposed solutions was far more simple... and most of all, quite effective. I have implemented that upgrade/enhancement to multiple spreadsheets for our team. As a result there will be a substantial amount of time saved by each user... basically they will enter data into 6 cells and select a status... depsite the fact this spreadsheet has over 150 columns! yes, i know scary! the client designed the spreadsheet, so can't change it, but, I can enhance it. The "flag" that I was setting up will tell me which entries conform to the required criteria, and I can batch process the required data entry for the 125+ cells on each row... which means that each user doesn't have to. like I said, major time saver. So on behalf of myself, my bosses, and all my team, we all thank you for your help! Now we can actually get some real work done! thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChipDude83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back