Conditional Formatting, highlight certain row cells if text present in "A" column, but then un-highlight once row has been filled out.

tinydancer

I am trying to pull off a two step conditional formatting that will leave the row alone if no text is present in the "A" column. But once text is present there, I want most of the row (I say this because I have a couple columns I want left alone all together) to highlight until they are filled with text. So for example:

Once text is present in column "A" I want the rest of the row to highlight, minus the "J" and "K" columns, all the way through the "T" column. Once text is then entered into these cells, the highlight (conditional formatting) will go away. I would like the highlight to go away as each individual cell is filled out and not have to fill out the entire row before the highlight goes away.

So far I can get the first step (highlighting a row of select cells if text is present), but I cannot get the conditional formatting to go away once I fill out those cells.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
First, selet the range you want to apply this to. Let's say it is B1:T100.
Then use the following Conditional Formatting formula:
Excel Formula:
=AND($A1<>"",B1="",COLUMN()<>10,COLUMN()<>11)
and choose your desired highlighting color.

Note that if you start at any row other than 1, you will need to adjust the row number after the column letter B in the formula (basically, you write it for the first formula in the range, and let Excel adjust it for the rest).

Upvote 0
Solution
You are welcome.
Hey Joe4, Joined this platform just because of your hard and fast work, sound mind, and God like speed when helping people... Thanks for helping others soon. I will be needing your help..in the matter of "How to highlight an entire column if a cell matchs a value searched in "=ISNUMBER(SEARCH((RANGE,RANGE))" by running a macro VBA code?" I did searched YouTube and the article/forums for 4 hours but didn't find a solution that would work. Hope you have the solution somewhere in your creative and sound Mind.. Cheers!..And Happy New year! (Sorry for being late and the last one to Wish.)

Upvote 0
Hey Joe4, Joined this platform just because of your hard and fast work, sound mind, and God like speed when helping people... Thanks for helping others soon. I will be needing your help..in the matter of "How to highlight an entire column if a cell matchs a value searched in "=ISNUMBER(SEARCH((RANGE,RANGE))" by running a macro VBA code?" I did searched YouTube and the article/forums for 4 hours but didn't find a solution that would work. Hope you have the solution somewhere in your creative and sound Mind.. Cheers!..And Happy New year! (Sorry for being late and the last one to Wish.)
Welcome to the Board!

Your question is quite a bit different than the original question asked, so it is best to post it to its own, new thread. That way it will appear in the "Unanswered threads" listing that appears in the menus that many people use to look for new, unanswered questions, and it has a greater chances of receiving replies (and typically quicker too!). I am also not around here much on the weekends, so others can answer too (there are many people on this board smarter than me!).

When you do re-post your question, I would also encourage you to be more detailed in your description. What is your exact formulas, and what exact columns, ranges, etc are you looking for format?
The more detailed you are, the better your chance of getting a reply that will work on your exact data, instead of a general answer that may require manipulation to get it to work for your situation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back