Conditional Formatting in the same cell

imback2nite

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi and thanks for looking at what I would think would be easy but for some reason I can't understand. I'm trying to use Conditional Formula. This condition will reside in cell G8 and be dragged down to cell G44.
Condition #1 works great. Condition #2 will not. Is this because the Condition will reside in the same cell? Anyway, I appreciate your time.
Condition #1 is
Rich (BB code):
=NOT(ISBLANK($B8))
Condition #2 is
Rich (BB code):
=AND(ISNUMBER($F8),ISBLANK($G8))

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
You haven't said what is happening.

But presumably F8 is numeric, and (you think) G8 is blank, and the cell is not formatting as required.

Is G8 blank, or does it have a formula that returns ""? If so, you'll need to test whether G8="" rather than using ISBLANK

Upvote 0
What's odd is that if I put the Conditional Formatting in cell H8, it works fine. In so saying is that F8 IS numeric and G8 IS Blank. Is there a reason that I'm not able to use cell G8? Circular Reference?

Upvote 0
Is there a reason that I'm not able to use cell G8? Circular Reference?
No reason you can't put the formula in G8. It won't cause a circular reference.

In simple terms, if G8 is conditionally formatted with the formula: =AND(ISNUMBER($F8),ISBLANK($G8)) then the cell will format if both these conditions are met.

If G8 is not formatting, it means:
ISNUMBER(F8) is FALSE and/or ISBLANK(G8) is FALSE

OR

The conditional format formula in G8 is not what you think it is: =AND(ISNUMBER($F8),ISBLANK($G8)).

If you're applying conditional formatting to multiple cells, it's easy to make a mistake and have the formula pointing not quite where you think it is.

Upvote 0
I guess there's some sort of conflict in Conditions. When I delete Condition #1, Condition #2, now Condition #1 works. Sigh
What's odd is the old condition #1 was to input borders. Condition #2 is to add a pattern.

Upvote 0
Do you have "Stop if True" checked for the 1st rule?

Upvote 0
I can't remember if it was an option in 2003 or not. It maybe that 2003 cannot handle multiple rules for the same cell.

Upvote 0
I can't remember if it was an option in 2003 or not. It maybe that 2003 cannot handle multiple rules for the same cell.
:(. I'll look around and see if I can find something. I do appreciate the help! :)

Upvote 0
In 2003 there was no 'Stop if True' and cells could have up to 3 conditional formatting rules.

@imback2nite
With some suitable (varied) data in rows 8:12 and your two CF rules in place in G8:G12, can you select G8, go into Conditional Formatting and take a snip of the rules. Along the lines of this pic
1702896898316.png

Can you also take a snip of the actual sheet covering B8:G12 after hiding columns C, D & E?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back