ads_1471

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet where in Column C the CELLs are filled with a mixture of text and numbers.

I am wanting he text to highlight in a colour when text is entered and the numbers to remain black.

Example

Column C3 has Email typed - This would turn red.
Column C4 has a number - 1234 - This would remain black

Chees

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi,

Go to cell C1 and from the home tab in excel click on Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cell Rules > Text That contains

Then enter @ in the box and choose Red Text from the dropdown and click OK

Now select cell C1 and click format painter, then select Column C which will paste the format in all of that column.

Now whenever the @ sign appears in any cell in column C it will be red.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Go to cell C1 and from the home tab in excel click on Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cell Rules > Text That contains

Then enter @ in the box and choose Red Text from the dropdown and click OK

Now select cell C1 and click format painter, then select Column C which will paste the format in all of that column.

Now whenever the @ sign appears in any cell in column C it will be red.

Hi. Unfortunately this ha not worked for what I want.

If I do the @ then that does not search any text I enter and turn it red as opposed to keeping and number black

Upvote 0
Hi. Unfortunately this ha not worked for what I want.

If I do the @ then that does not search any text I enter and turn it red as opposed to keeping and number black

... You had not mentioned a search feature in your original post?

Are you saying that you want to search for all fields in C column and only then have the ones with the @ sign return as red?

What I suggested will make new or existing data show as red if it contains the @ sign (at least it works for me)

Upvote 0
Hi

What I am saying is. If the below are in CELLs in column C. Then any words will be red and any numbers are black
CEL C2 - Break
CEL C3 - Unit
CEL C4 - 1245
CEL C5 - 2654
CEL C6 - REAL

So all text CEL are red. All numbered are black

Upvote 0
My mistake, I thought you were asking specifically for cells that contain emails.

In this case I dont think its going to be possible if this is an existing workbook because all of the cells are most likely going to be already formatted as general format. If you are adding data to a new workbook then you could format each cell in Column C as you go along to be a number or text and then apply conditional formatting to get the color.

maybe someone else has a solution but thats all Ive got :(

Upvote 0
Select col C > in CF > New Rule > Use a formula > =ISTEXT(C1) then select the format you want > OK.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back