Conditional Formatting

smpaz7467

Board Regular
I have a question about conditional formatting. I am a civil engineer, I use excel to go through each lot to see what house plans work and dont work. I want to color code my different codes that I use to make it easier to see what works and doesnt work. The problem I am running in to is that I can only formatt 3 codes per cell. I need to be able to formatt 10 or so different codes, but I am only using 2 colors. Ex. "LT" is Blue, "NA", "NW" and a couple more codes in Red. Anyone have any idea how to do this?

There are going to be 12 codes per cell. I need LT and all the codes in red to be in Column C2-C3500. And RT and all the coded in red in Column D2-D3500. I am using Ecel 97, but I am setting this up as a template for work, with many different clients using this so it will have to work with all different versions.
wait a moment :confused:
we talked about conditional format
now it seems to me you want to move the data ...
that's another story !!

let's first finish with the CF
did you see my extensive reply with information ... ?

then
STEP 1 reproduce the situation litterally
STEP 2 experiment doing some little modifications
STEP 3 apply to your situation

EDIT: if you can make it work with XL97, all other versions will run it

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
HotPepper, I only have one code per cell. But there is the possibilty that any one of the 12 codes will be in a cell. That is why i want to color code them. If you tell me how to post an a copy of my spreadsheet I can explain what I need alot easier.

Upvote 0
   A             B         C             D              E             F            
 1 Lot Number    Plan Name Left Driveway Right Driveway Front Setback Rear Setback 
 2 1             5         LT            NCR            20            20           
 3 1             6         LT            NCR            20            20           
 4 2             5         LT            NA             20            20           
 5 2             6         NCL           RT             20            20           
 6 3             5         LT            ND             20            20           
 7 3             6         NW            RT             20            20           
 8 4             5         LT            NDW            20            20           
 9 4             6         FX            RT             20            20           
10 5             5         LT            NFX            20            20           
11 5             6         NLF           RT             20            20           
12 6             5         LT            NRF            20            20           
13                                                                                 
14                                                                                 
15 LIST OF CODES                                                                   
16  LT           BLUE                                                              
17 RT            GREEN                                                             
18 NA            RED                                                               
19 NCR           RED                                                               
20 NCL           RED                                                               
21 ND            RED                                                               
22 NW            RED                                                               
23 NDW           RED                                                               
24 FX            RED                                                               
25 NFX           RED                                                               
26 NLF           RED                                                               
27 NRL           RED                                                               

Sheet 1

[Table-It] version 06 by Erik Van Geit

Upvote 0
Now, any of the codes can display in column C or D, BUT only 1 will show. What I need to do is make a code so that each message that will display will be the proper color per cell. Again only one message per cell, but it could be any of the messages. Do you guys understand what i am saying?

Upvote 0
Now, any of the codes can display in column C or D, BUT only 1 will show. What I need to do is make a code so that each message that will display will be the proper color per cell. Again only one message per cell, but it could be any of the messages. Do you guys understand what i am saying?
yes, since I replied with
I'll try to repair my mistake with a long post
and I'm sure Hotpepper does understand too :)
it's difficult to work together when not recieving feedback
did you try my suggestions ?
anyway you'll need some practicing to work with CF

in the mean time I'll see if your layout is OK to implement (I think so)

Upvote 0
OK,

it was easier then I thought at first glance
the formulas are more "expensive" then using my system
you can still use a "dynamic named range" if you want

to illustrate the formulasystem add some formules to your sheet
Code:
RANGE   FORMULA (1st cell)
H2:I12  =INDEX($B$16:$B$27,MATCH(C2,$A$16:$A$27,0))

the output will be "BLUE", "RED" or "GREEN"

now let's apply this to CF
select C2:D12
for each condition you will need to compare to a different string
=INDEX($B$16:$B$27,MATCH(C2,$A$16:$A$27,0))="BLUE"
=INDEX($B$16:$B$27,MATCH(C2,$A$16:$A$27,0))="GREEN"
=INDEX($B$16:$B$27,MATCH(C2,$A$16:$A$27,0))="RED"
as said replacing A16:A27 by a dynamic range would be nice

Upvote 0
It is saying there is a circular reference. And I only included the list of codes as a reference. Is there a way to imped these codes in that view code thing, so they do not display. I will post another view of the spread sheet for you to view as one of my clients would.

Upvote 0
   A          B         C             D              E             F            
 1 Lot Number Plan Name Left Driveway Right Driveway Front Setback Rear Setback 
 2 1          5                       NCR            20            20           
 3 1          6         LT            NCR            20            20           
 4 2          5                       NA             20            20           
 5 2          6         NCL           RT             20            20           
 6 3          5         LT            ND             20            20           
 7 3          6         NW            RT             20            20           
 8 4          5         LT            NDW            20            20           
 9 4          6         FX            RT             20            20           
10 5          5         LT            NFX            20            20           
11 5          6         NLF           RT             20            20           
12 6          5         LT            NRF            20            20           

Sheet 1

Upvote 0
That is what my clients are going to recieve from me. I am not going to put the list of codes in the file, unless I have to. Also this is a small example of what I am working with. I need this to be able to work from cells c2-c3500. and the same for cells D2-D3500. Sorry if I am being a pain in the neck, I just want to figure this out and I appreciate the help!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttosArmy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back