conditional Ranking???

richphi37

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey there gurus,

I want to rank my students. The ones who pass all of their tests on the first time rank higher than those who do not. I need to know how to rank the ones who do not pass after the ones who do. There is also an achievement based on GPA in the class (Column A in my sheet). Top 20% who pass all their tests first time get Commandants list, Top 40% who pass first time gets Academic Achievement. I can set it up so the top 20 and 40% GPAs are recognized and those who do not pass are left blank in Column A, but how do I rank the passers above those who did not pass though they have a higher final GPA.
I need to rank the passers over the non-passers in columns A and E.

The picture is only a screenshot. There are 45 students. so it should be 9 commandants list and 9 academic achievement. the rest in column A will should be blank..

The formula I currently use in Column A is:
=IF(C2="N","",IF(D2>=PERCENTILE(D2:D46,0.8),"Commandant's List",IF(AND(D2>=PERCENTILE(D2:D46,0.6),D2<>PERCENTILE(D2:D46,0.8)),"Superior Academic Achievement","")))

The formula I currently use in Column E is:
=RANK(D2,D2:D46)

No other formulas used here.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Phil

Attachments

• GRadebook.png
    GRadebook.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 20

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
It would be easiest with a (hidden if desired) helper column. Assuming column F is currently empty, enter the formula below into F2 then fill down and rank using the helper column.
Excel Formula:
=D2+(C2="Y")
Using this will give those that passed first time a virtual result 100% higher than their actual result. This will only apply to the hidden column, the original results will be unchanged.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back