Connecting a text box on sheet one to multiple different descriptions on another sheet

Hi there. I am at an intermediate level with excel and a beginner with VBA. This is also my first time posting to a forum, ever.

I have been having some trouble with completing a specific task for a project at work. I am attempting to link multiple cells I have in sheet 1 to multiple cells with text in sheet two. I would like to have a text box in sheet 1 display the information in sheet 2. can you please help me? I would like for the user who sees the sheet to be able to click on one of the cells with a data set in it and for a message box in sheet 1 to display the correlating text information relating to that data from sheet two.

I have searched for tips on this task for almost a week now and I am still in the dark. any help that can be provided would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
We need more details:
You said:
"I would like to have a text box in sheet 1 display the information in sheet 2. can you please help me? I would like for the user who sees the sheet to be able to click on one of the cells with a data set in it and for a message box in sheet 1 to display the correlating text information relating to that data from sheet two.

So first you say Textbox then you say message box. What is a "Message box"

And what are you going to do have numerous Textboxes to display numerous cells data?

You said:
I am attempting to link multiple cells I have in sheet 1 to multiple cells with text in sheet two.

We would need to know what cells and the name of these Textboxs. And are these Activex Textboxes.

Upvote 0
Hi, sorry, my mistake.

I'll do my best to clarify. I mean a text box preferably an "Activex Textboxes" but any text box will do. I would like to have one text box in sheet 1 that will display the different text information from numerous cells in sheet 2. for example: I would like to make it so that when a user clicks on the product acronym (cell b2 in sheet one) the information located in cell c3 on sheet 2 will display in the one and only message box in sheet 1.

I hope that makes it more clear. please let me know if I need to include more detail. also again sorry for not explaining more clearly the first time.

I appreciate the help. :)

Upvote 0
So we are only dealing with One "TextBox"

And one cell on Sheet(1) which is "B2"
And one cell on Sheet(2) which is "C3"

And it does not matter what is in "B2" or "C3"

All your going to do is click on "B2" In Sheet(1) and you want what is in "C3" On Sheet(2) entered into the TextBox on Sheet(1)

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not quite, but almost.

We are dealing with One "TextBox" in sheet (1).

And 50 cells in sheet(1)
And 50 cells in Sheet (2)

what I want to do is connect the 50 cells In Sheet(1) with their specific cells in sheet (2) so that the information from the sheet (2) will display in the text box. For example.

If I have "DM" in sheet (1) in cell "B2" I would like to be able to click on it and have the Textbox in sheet wone display the information in Cell C3 in Sheet (2). the information in cell C3 would be something like "data management is an important process."

Also, Thank you for being so patient and helpful. This forum is great.

Upvote 0
Your not giving me any correlation here:

You said:
If I have "DM" in sheet (1) in cell "B2" I would like to be able to click on it and have the Textbox in sheet wone display the information in Cell C3 in Sheet (2)

What happens if you have "Dog" in sheet(1) cell "B2"

And your going to have to show me some trend here.

Where are the 50 cells on each sheet.

This is getting hard to understand if you cannot explain some relationship here.

What does B2 and C3 have in common?

Upvote 0
excel
Sorry, doing my best to explain, bear with me.

If I have "DM" in sheet (1) in cell "B2", I would like to be able to click on it and have the Textbox in sheet one display the information in Cell C3 in Sheet (2). If I change "DM" to "Dog" in sheet(1) cell "B2," I would like for the text box to display nothing.

To clarify, there are 50 cells in each sheet, but sheet (1) has its data placed in 5 rows of 8 with and one row of 10. While sheet (2) has two columns (B and C) going in descending order. These two columns contain the correlating data (tow letters) and an explanation.

I cant show the exact information since it is confidential, but I have made an example using letter assortments and some text that I would like to link to them via a message box. I have also included links to each image, mainly because I can't figure out why my MrExcel attachment is not functioning.I hope this helps with my explanation. I am really doing my best, sorry for making this harder on you.

Image links:

excel
sheet_1%20(1).webp

sheet_2.webp

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Not sure if we will ever get this done.
But you still have not said where these 50 cells are.
You said:

To clarify, there are 50 cells in each sheet, but sheet (1) has its data placed in 5 rows of 8 with and one row of 10. While sheet (2) has two columns (B and C) going in descending order.

Well Excel has 1.5 million rows I need to know the exact location.
And where in column B and C. Column B and C have a combined cell count of 3 million cells.

And to just click on a cell and have it do something requires knowing what exact cell

From what your saying we are going to have to write 50 if statements like this

If Sheets(1).Range("A1").value="Paul" Then TextBox1.value=Sheets(2).Range("B14").value

And we will have to write 50 of these with the exact cell data and reference cell.

And then we will have to write a sheet change event script referencing 50 different cells.

And you still keep using the term "MessageBox" when you should be saying "TextBox" unless I'm still confused about what you mean about a "MessageBox"

In Excel a "MessageBox" is a Message that pops up on the screen when something happens. A Textbox is something different.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I am used to using the terms interchangeably. I will try to keep in mind to only say text box.

As for the specific location of the exact cells I need. In the photos I attached in the link, I have placed the cells in the order which I will need to use.

[B]Image links:
[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/home/excel?preview=sheet+1.PNG
sheet_1%20(1).webp

sheet_2.webp

[/B]So just to be clear you are saying that I will have to write a VBA code that looks like the following?

Code:
If Sheets(1).Range("A1").value="Paul" Then TextBox1.value=Sheets(2).Range("B14").value

am i correct?

Again thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back