Connecting to Database

AcctEast

Hi - I couldn't find the specific answer to my question elsewhere - or at least how it was described/explained did not seem to match my understanding.

I am tryin to connect to a database to which I have read-only access to execute stored SQL queries that I am currently running in MySql Workbench - in an effort to automate the data download.

While I was able to set up my connection in MySql workbench, I am unsuccessful in doing the same in excel.

My navigation is Get Data --> From Database --> From Sql Database

While I have a data programming and analysis background, I'm really a finance guy with some programming experience - so I'm not sure i'm interpreting parlance correctly.

I initially entered the IP address of the server in the "Sever" section --> this yields a "Status 18" error which my search indicated is because of my use of the IP address instead of the name. I feel like an idiot, because I cannot identify the name.

Where do I find the server name? Nothing on the internet has been helpful-enough to get me there. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I don’t think “from SQL DB” will work for MySQL. doesn‘t it say “SQL server”? That is different. Read my article here

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back