Consecutive numbers

Sparky

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a column with 25 consecutive numbers, example 1 to 25. How do I highlight a cell or cells if someone changes one or more of the numbers in the column and breaks the succession? Example, if the numbers 1 to 25 are in cells A1:A25 and someone types the number 32 in A1 I need A1 to be highlighted as in conditional formatting.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Stevebausch
Before I go on the sequenced numbers 1-25, 25-50,51-75 etc represent car parts. Sometimes the part is not required because the car that it is to be fitted to is not available. Therefore the part number needs to be removed from the sequence, and at a later date the part number will be re-entered when the car is available for the part to be fitted.
I do not need the cells to be locked to prevent change. The fact of the matter is that sometimes the sequenced numbers need to be changed or deleted, I just need the cells to be highlighted to alert individuals so as mistakes are not made.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yogi

Is this a lost cause or is it possible?

Thanks anyway

Upvote 0
The entries are numbers, I tried your fix anyway and it filled the range K3:K27 with the colour red.
The first sequence of numbers 1-25 with the CF formula =E3<>ROW(E3)-2 works OK.
The second sequence of numbers 26-50 with the CF formula =K3<>ROW(K3)+23 works OK.
The third sequence of numbers 51-75 (Q3:Q27)
I am lost.
Altogether I have 18 lots of sequenced numbers starting at E3:E27 and ending at DC3:DC27 (426-450).
Any further suggestions appreciated

Basically you need to modify each columns CF by 25. notice the following pattern for the CF:
Col E = row -2
Col F = Row + 23
Col G = Row + 48
Col H = Row + 73
etc

Hope this helps you

Upvote 0
The entries are numbers, I tried your fix anyway and it filled the range K3:K27 with the colour red.
The first sequence of numbers 1-25 with the CF formula =E3<>ROW(E3)-2 works OK.
The second sequence of numbers 26-50 with the CF formula =K3<>ROW(K3)+23 works OK.
The third sequence of numbers 51-75 (Q3:Q27)
I am lost.
Altogether I have 18 lots of sequenced numbers starting at E3:E27 and ending at DC3:DC27 (426-450).
Any further suggestions appreciated

Basically you need to modify each columns CF by 25. notice the following pattern for the CF:
Col E = row -2
Col F = Row + 23
Col G = Row + 48
Col H = Row + 73
etc

Hope this helps you

Upvote 0
Bolo

Something so simple.
You're a star

Topic closed
Thanks to everyone who took time to look at the post.......Brilliant message board

Upvote 0
Hi Sparky:

Sorry, I was away from the Board for the last few days, and missed the great throw by Bolo, but you made the winning catch -- you are the Star. So, you see when we have faith in the team, it is never a lost cause.

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMGLarson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back