Contagious Catastrophic Failure

filled2bursting

I have a curious error that appeared in several places at once.

Automation Error - Catastrophic Failure

This all of a sudden started to appear when opening a workbook I had been developing.

In practice I have saved this in a series of versions before advancing stage to stage. As I couldn't figure out the issue I thought to cut my losses and rework from the last stage. Only the issue appeared there again, and on and on stage after stage back nearly a month.

This leads me to suspect there was some configuration change in my system that triggered this. I prefer that to the idea of some latent stealthy bug that could pounce and destroy all your work at any time irrespective of versioning.

When I try to identify the issue in VBA, I am able to find the module its highlighting as the issue.
This is a UDF I've used for years without issue in dozens of other contexts, that I consider to be quite stable.
If I comment this out, the error goes away only to come back on another UDF.
As a note, it appears to just be yell(ow)ing at the first UDF it comes to. If I comment out all of VBA then its good, but when I try to add something back it begins again.

Also with each reset it seems to be copying all the virtual worksheets in the project making it virtually twice as large. When you return out of VBA view though all is normal. (The file size doesn't seem to be increasing).

MSDN talks of "objects". I am not sure what I have in this workbook that would qualify:
In the Book: Moderate sized tables, several pivot tables with slicers, camera tool pictures, and a pair of rectangle shapes with macros assigned.
In VBA: No classes, workbook, sheet, or range objects

Anyone have any ideas on how to short-circuit the game of whack-a-mole?
Otherwise any ideas on how to check for the bug in a rebuild before its too late?

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikijon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back