Convert Text To Time

honkin

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi
I have received a spreadsheet from a colleague which has the time showing as 1:30pm and so on. The cells are formatted as General and no matter what format I try, I have not been able to convert the cells to show 13:30 etc. I even tried
Code:
=TEXT(B2,"HH:MM")
to remove the am and pm, but this also failed, with times still showing as 1:30pm etc.

The cells all contained a space at the beginning, so I used the TRIM function to remove that, but now I am stuck with a column I am unable to use when filtering. I tried
Code:
=ISNUMBER(B2)
to see if what I was looking at was a number and the response was FALSE, which I assume means it is a text string, but am still stuck.

Any suggestions as to how to get around this at all?

cheers

Book1
AB
11:30am1:30
22:30pm14:30
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B2B1=TEXT(REPLACE(A1,MIN(FIND({"a","p"},A1&"ap")),," "),"h:mm")
cheers shadowu459

No, as indicated, I have no idea how this has been format as it is not my spreadsheet. I had not tried the formula you supplied before, but when I did, it merely gives me the result 1.23pm in the cell.

As I mentioned, the closest I have come is deleting the pm manually and then when I convert to General, I get a decimal. When that is converted to a time, I get 01:30 instead of 13:30. Nothing else has even come close yet

cheers

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
have you tried below steps? when you see a decimal, do not covert to General, but do as follow steps:
2)right click on the cell--->Format cells--->in Number caption, click Custom
3)enter h:mm in the text box on the right side, click OK button to finish.

Upvote 0
cheers again shaowu459

No, none of this gets the correct result. The closest I can get is to get to 01:30 for 1:30pm, but this is hit and miss

So here's what finally fixed it.

Each cell had a space in front of the number, so used TRIM to remove the space. Then highlighted all of the column and copied and pasted special, just as values. Then I used FormR's solution to go replace pm with a space before the pm. Then formatted the column as custom hh:mm.

So many other things had been tried, but failed, but the two tricks in the end were to trim the initial space and copy, then paste special as values and FormR's space before the pm. Took way longer than it should have

Thanks so much for all your help, especially FormR for the tip

cheers

Upvote 0
Hello Honkin,

As you've previously tried, using the Text Formula help us format the look and feel of some strings and values even when the conserve their original type in its references. Please try again by using =TEXT(B2,"hh:mm:ss AM/PM") regular time or try with =TEXT(B2,"[hh]:mm:ss") for military time, press Enter key. If needed, drag fill handle down to apply this formula to the below cells. Kindly let us know how it goes on your end, mate.

Hi
I have received a spreadsheet from a colleague which has the time showing as 1:30pm and so on. The cells are formatted as General and no matter what format I try, I have not been able to convert the cells to show 13:30 etc. I even tried
Code:
=TEXT(B2,"HH:MM")
to remove the am and pm, but this also failed, with times still showing as 1:30pm etc.

The cells all contained a space at the beginning, so I used the TRIM function to remove that, but now I am stuck with a column I am unable to use when filtering. I tried
Code:
=ISNUMBER(B2)
to see if what I was looking at was a number and the response was FALSE, which I assume means it is a text string, but am still stuck.

Any suggestions as to how to get around this at all?

cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, alvisonhunter, but as indicated in my last post, the problem is already resolved.

cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back