copy multiple files in all folders and subfolders based on excel sheet

edkawy

hi, i have found the below code in this link https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...all-folders-subfolders-based-excel-sheet.html

HTML:
Sub CopyMacro()Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")n = 2Do While Range("A" & n).Value <> ""fs.CopyFile Range("B" & n).Value & "\" & Range("A" & n).Value & ".*", Range("C" & n).Value & "\"n = n + 1LoopEnd Sub

this code required all files to be in one folder. is it possible someone change it so it can also search for subfolders
thanks alot for any help

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I think this tweak should work, but haven't got access to a computer at the moment to test it - please let me know if it does what you need:
Code:
Sub CopyMacro
Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
n = 2
Do While Range("A" & n).Value <> ""
fs.CopyFile Range("B" & n).Value & "\" & Range("A" & n).Value & ".*", Range("C" & n).Value & "\"
fs.CopyFile Range("B" & n).Value & "\*\" & Range("A" & n).Value & ".*", Range("C" & n).Value & "\"
n = n + 1
Loop
End Sub
Note that this won't build the subfolder structure in the destination folder, so if it finds more than one file with a matching name in different subfolders, one copy version will overwrite the other copy version.

Upvote 0
I think this tweak should work, but haven't got access to a computer at the moment to test it - please let me know if it does what you need:
Code:
Sub CopyMacro
Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
n = 2
Do While Range("A" & n).Value <> ""
fs.CopyFile Range("B" & n).Value & "\" & Range("A" & n).Value & ".*", Range("C" & n).Value & "\"
fs.CopyFile Range("B" & n).Value & "\*\" & Range("A" & n).Value & ".*", Range("C" & n).Value & "\"
n = n + 1
Loop
End Sub
Note that this won't build the subfolder structure in the destination folder, so if it finds more than one file with a matching name in different subfolders, one copy version will overwrite the other copy version.

hi , thanks a lot for your prompt reply , i have tried the code and found the error as mentioned below :

fs.CopyFile Range("B" & n).Value & "\*" & Range("A" & n).Value & ".*", Range("C" & n).Value & ""

i really need to search through subfolders.
would you please check it again when u have time

Upvote 0
I've checked it and unfortunately it isn't as straight-forward as I thought. The * wildcard can be used in filenames, but it can't be put in the filepath to search multiple sub folders.

I think you need a way of looping through the subfolders, and applying a macro similar to my original one, but with an On Error Resume Next line to skip the CopyFile if the file isn't found. Perhaps something like the post by northwolves here: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...ions-looping-through-directory-structure.html may give a start, but I'm not sure enough about how it works to be able to put my macro into it.

Upvote 0
hello, i agree with you , after searching for many days i couldn't found any code for this..it seems its not possible to do this via VBA.. i will look for other method ...thanks a lot for your efforts Trevor_S.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omer Lutfu Neziroglu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back