Copying data from a master tab to other tabs which updates automatically

ycharron

Hello,

I have searched on multiple forums and on the web, and tried different formulas from answers and tutorials, but somehow, none of them provide me with the answer i need which is why i'm hoping someone will be able to help me, or tell me if this is possible or not.

I'm currently using Excel 2010 with Windows 7
I'm looking for a way to take data from a master tab and copy it automatically to a different tab, but i also want any updates i make in the master tab to be automatically reflected/updated in the other tab.

Example:
My master tab contains data that will be manually entered since it will come from various sources. Some cells will inevitably be empty or have a 0 in them.

This is what it looks like in the master tab:
Excel 2010
ABCDE
1FrenchItalianGermanSpanish
2Costs1100 €110 €120 €130 €
3Costs2200 €210 €220 €230 €
4Costs3300 €310 €320 €330 €

<tbody>
</tbody>
tab1
My second tab will be used to make multiple graphs based on different data from the master tab and because the sorting will change depending on the data i use in the graph, the second tab needs to contain information from the Master tab, but i need to transpose it and i also need it to automatically adjust itself or update if i make changes in the Master tab.

This is what it would look like in the second tab
Excel 2010
ABCD
1Costs1Costs2Costs3
2French100 €200 €300 €
3Italian110 €210 €310 €
4German120 €220 €320 €
5Spanish130 €230 €330 €

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
tab2

Thank you in advance for any help.

yan charron

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hello yan,

Have you tried in tab2 to simply use a formula = tab1 B1

HTH

Upvote 0
Maybe this:

Code:
A1-> =IF(INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMN(),ROW())="","",INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMN(),ROW()))

Or

A1-> =IF(INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1))="","",INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1)))

Markmzz

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thank you both for your answers. I tried both of them and unfortunately, they did not seem to work for me. I'm still very new at this so i'm quite sure it's something i'm doing wrong.

A coworker of mine was also looking into this and came up with the following piece of code which seems to work:
{=TRANSPOSE(master!$A$1:$W$10)}

again, thank you for the help!

Upvote 0
thank you both for your answers. I tried both of them and unfortunately, they did not seem to work for me. I'm still very new at this so i'm quite sure it's something i'm doing wrong.

A coworker of mine was also looking into this and came up with the following piece of code which seems to work:
{=TRANSPOSE(master!$A$1:$W$10)}

again, thank you for the help!

Here the formulas worked. Look at this:

A
B
C
D
E
Master
French
Italian
German
Spanish
Costs1
Costs2
Costs3

<tbody>
</tbody>

A
B
C
D
Sheet1
Costs1
Costs2
Costs3
French
Italian
German
Spanish

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formulas

Code:
A1-> =IF(INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMN(),ROW())="","",INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMN(),ROW()))

Or

A1-> =IF(INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1))="","",INDEX(Master!$A$1:$E$4,COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1)))

Markmzz

Upvote 0
I must be doing something wrong, because i still can't get it to do anything :(

I put the formula in cell A1 from tab 2...i even made sure to go in a correctly link the master tab and range, but still nothing happens.

To make certain i understand this, i put the formula in Cell A1 of the tab 2 correct? Do i need to do anything special after that or just hit enter?

Upvote 0
I must be doing something wrong, because i still can't get it to do anything :(

I put the formula in cell A1 from tab 2...i even made sure to go in a correctly link the master tab and range, but still nothing happens.

To make certain i understand this, i put the formula in Cell A1 of the tab 2 correct? Do i need to do anything special after that or just hit enter?

Try this new version (array formula - use Ctrl+Shift+Enter and not only Enter):

Code:
A1 of tab2-> =INDEX(IF(Master!$A$1:$E$4="","",Master!$A$1:$E$4),COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1))

If the array formula didn't work, then post your formula with the range of the master tab.

By the way, what is your version of Excel (English, Portuguese or another)?

PS-> if possible, post your formula in English and in your version of Excel.

Markmzz

Upvote 0
thanks again for the reply!

To asnwer your questions, i'm using Excel 2010 (office Enterprise Professional) - It is in Frnehc however, but this usually doesn't affect the formulas since they still use the same namingconvention/syntax for all languages.

Ok, so i used the array formula in cell A1 of Tab2 you provided and used ctrl+shift+enter, but nothing happened. It still remains blank.

This is an exacte ctrl-c and ctrl-v of the formula from my spreadsheet:
=INDEX(IF(Master!$A$1:$E$4="","",Master!$A$1:$E$4),COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1))

I appreciate all your help, but i also don't want you to waste time on this...for now i can manage with doing it manually. Eventually i will want to turn the whole thing into a macro, but i don't need it now :)

again, i appreciate all the help you provided!

yan

Upvote 0
thanks again for the reply!

To asnwer your questions, i'm using Excel 2010 (office Enterprise Professional) - It is in Frnehc however, but this usually doesn't affect the formulas since they still use the same namingconvention/syntax for all languages.

Ok, so i used the array formula in cell A1 of Tab2 you provided and used ctrl+shift+enter, but nothing happened. It still remains blank.

This is an exacte ctrl-c and ctrl-v of the formula from my spreadsheet:
=INDEX(IF(Master!$A$1:$E$4="","",Master!$A$1:$E$4),COLUMNS($A1:A1),ROWS(A$1:A1))

I appreciate all your help, but i also don't want you to waste time on this...for now i can manage with doing it manually. Eventually i will want to turn the whole thing into a macro, but i don't need it now :)

again, i appreciate all the help you provided!

yan
Yan,

Look at your PM Box.

Markmzz

Upvote 0
Thanks again Mark.

i didn't understand that i needed to copy the formula in each cell...now it works fine!

thanks again for the help

-yan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttosArmy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back