Count Cells containing x but only under Column Heading "Contractor"

yipppppppy

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi all,

The following formula works where it counts the number of cells containing x under column where the heading is Contractor. This column is in Column AO as per formula below but how can i modify the formula below so if someone moves the Contractor Column from Column AO to another column, the formula still works?

=IFERROR(COUNTIF('CL7'!AO:AO,"x"),"Error")

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Try this. Just change the 1000 to as many rows as you think you'll need to capture all the data.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(SUMPRODUCT(--('CL7'!A1:AO1="Contractor")*('CL7'!A2:AO1000="x")),"Error")

Upvote 0
Try this. Just change the 1000 to as many rows as you think you'll need to capture all the data.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(SUMPRODUCT(--('CL7'!A1:AO1="Contractor")*('CL7'!A2:AO1000="x")),"Error")
Thanks alot. How can i add to this formula so it only counts the above AND if the cell under "Management" Column contains "Consultant"

Upvote 0
Thanks alot. How can i add to this formula so it only counts the above AND if the cell under "Management" Column contains "Consultant"
Just to clarify, the cell under "Management" column containing the word "Consultant" it is the corresponding cell to it.

Upvote 0
I would approach this a little different. the formula I would use is: =IFERROR(COUNTIF(XLOOKUP("CONTRACTOR",AS1:AW1,AS2:AW15),"X"),"ERROR"). If the column containing consultant data is shifted, this will adjust the value accordingly. screenshot of swapping "contractor" and "temp" attached. if you want to select the entire columns for your range, =IFERROR(COUNTIF(XLOOKUP("CONTRACTOR",AS1:AW1,AS:AW),"X"),"ERROR") will work as well. If you're using a dynamic array with hard entered column numbers, you can use: =IFERROR(COUNTIF(XLOOKUP("CONTRACTOR",AS1:AW1,AS2#),"X"),"ERROR").

Attachments

• EXCEL CONTRACTOR QUESTION.PNG
    EXCEL CONTRACTOR QUESTION.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Hi hope the above two images help. I just need the formula for where the 74 is being returned to be actually 1 since that is the right answer.

Upvote 0
That won't work. "And" (*) isn't the same as "Contains." If I did the math right, you have 69 "X's" filtered in C1. There's a strong video on this on YouTube if you want to go this route. Having said that, I think that's still overly complicated. It's much easier to use Index+Filter and then CountA.
Formula: =COUNTA(FILTER(INDEX(A2:D4,,3),(A2:A4="7-MANAGER")*(B2:B4="RED")))
Result: 1
You can also use A:A and B:B. It just grows the spreadsheet unnecessarily.

Attachments

• EXCEL CONTRACTOR 2.PNG
    EXCEL CONTRACTOR 2.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Hi sorry about this. Hope i make sense below.

What I am after is to add an extra condition to the below formula. It returns the correct number of x in the FY23 TP column (which is 3 by the way) so that part is fine.

All i am after now is what do i need to add to the below formula so it calculates only those that meet the above criteria AND
1) Where the corresponding column which is titled "Management Level" contains the word "Manager" AND
2) The second corresponding column which is titled "Portfolio" contains the word "Red" or "Blue"

=IFERROR(SUMPRODUCT(--('CL7'!A1:AO1="FY23 TP")*('CL7'!A2:AO100000="x")),"Error")

So if for example one of the three rows that contains x under the FY23 TP column does not have either the word Manager under Management Level, or Red or Blue under Portfolio then it should return a value less than 3.

Upvote 0
You are mixing and matching in your examples in terms of what columns you are using and what criteria.
It just means you will need to do more at your end to modify anything we come up with.

See if this does what you are trying to do. You will need to modify the column and row range to accomodate your data.

20230603 CountIfs multiple criteria and Col select yipppppppy.xlsx
AB
3Result1
6Parameterised
7Management Level7-Manager
8PortfolioRed
9FY23 TPX
11Result1
Result
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3B3=COUNTIFS( INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Management Level",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),"7-Manager", INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Portfolio",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),"Red", INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("FY23 TP",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),"X")
B11B11=COUNTIFS( INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Management Level",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),$B$7, INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Portfolio",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),$B$8, INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("FY23 TP",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),$B$9)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back