Count Cells containing x but only under Column Heading "Contractor"

yipppppppy

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi all,

The following formula works where it counts the number of cells containing x under column where the heading is Contractor. This column is in Column AO as per formula below but how can i modify the formula below so if someone moves the Contractor Column from Column AO to another column, the formula still works?

=IFERROR(COUNTIF('CL7'!AO:AO,"x"),"Error")

PS: If you could also please update your profile to show which version of excel you are using, since the solution can vary based on the version. eg you have not mentioned whether the Filter and Xlooup formulas in some of the above solutions are actually available to you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
You are mixing and matching in your examples in terms of what columns you are using and what criteria.
It just means you will need to do more at your end to modify anything we come up with.

See if this does what you are trying to do. You will need to modify the column and row range to accomodate your data.

20230603 CountIfs multiple criteria and Col select yipppppppy.xlsx
AB
3Result1
6Parameterised
7Management Level7-Manager
8PortfolioRed
9FY23 TPX
11Result1
Result
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3B3=COUNTIFS( INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Management Level",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),"7-Manager", INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Portfolio",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),"Red", INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("FY23 TP",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),"X")
B11B11=COUNTIFS( INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Management Level",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),$B$7, INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Portfolio",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),$B$8, INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("FY23 TP",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)),$B$9)
PS: If you could also please update your profile to show which version of excel you are using, since the solution can vary based on the version. eg you have not mentioned whether the Filter and Xlooup formulas in some of the above solutions are actually available to you.
DOH! I meant to ask that in my last post!

Upvote 0
Here you go. Must have: (1) X value in FY 23TP, (2) 7-Manager in Management level, (3) either Red or Blue in Portfolio.
=SUMPRODUCT(--IF(OR(B2:B4="red",B2:B4="blue"),FILTER((A1:D1="fy 23 tp")*(A2:D4="x"),A2:A4="7-manager")))

Attachments

• excel 7 manager.PNG
    excel 7 manager.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Hi all, thanks for all your help. I updated the version in my profile. I use Office 365. Unfortunately the above still doesn't work. It gives me N/A. I have posted both screenshots. The second screenshot further below is the table where the data is. Note: It is in a DIFFERENT tab to the first screenshot, the second screenshot tab is called "CL7"

Now the first tab which is the first screenshot directly below is where all my formulas are. Now where you can see 3 under column E that is derived from the formula shown in this same screenshot and copied here also. This gives the right answer of 3 as you can see there are 3 x's in the second screenshot. All i am after though is what do i need to update in this formula so it gives me the answer where:

1) There is an x under FY23 in the CL7 tab AND
2) The corresponding cell in the Management Level Column in the CL7 tab is 7-Manager AND
3) The corresponding cell in the Portfolio Column in the CL7 tab is Red or Blue

As per my second screenshot, if you work it out manually the answer is 2, but how can i update the formula below so it shows 2.

=IFERROR(SUMPRODUCT(--('CL7'!A1:AO1="FY23 TP")*('CL7'!A2:AO100000="x")),"Error")
1685770066294.png

1685769935292.png

Upvote 0
Either of these should work. I did both on a different sheet, and then copied and pasted to "CL7." I did a double check with the full columns just in case the filtered values may be throwing it off. Try pasting that formula directly into your spreadsheet. If it doesn't work....I'm stumped.
full column formula: =SUMPRODUCT(--IF(OR('CL7'!B:B="red",'CL7'!B:B="blue"),FILTER(('CL7'!A1:D1="fy 23 tp")*('CL7'!A:D="x"),'CL7'!A:A="7-manager")))
tighter formula: =SUMPRODUCT(--IF(OR('CL7'!B2:B4="red",'CL7'!B2:B4="blue"),FILTER(('CL7'!A1:D1="fy 23 tp")*('CL7'!A2:D4="x"),'CL7'!A2:A4="7-manager")))

Attachments

• excel 7 manager.PNG
    excel 7 manager.PNG
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Again really appreciate your assistance here. I think i will just calculate the totals manually for now. Unless there is a feature here where i can send my spreadsheet so you can see for yourself the issue?

Upvote 0
Again really appreciate your assistance here. I think i will just calculate the totals manually for now. Unless there is a feature here where i can send my spreadsheet so you can see for yourself the issue?
you can throw it into a folder on the google drive, and share the link. Make sure you change permission to "editor", and share the folder not the file. The file will only open as a google sheet, which probably won't work.

Upvote 0
Try
Excel Formula:
=SUM(
     (INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Management Level",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)) = "7-Manager") *
     (INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Portfolio",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)) = {"Red","Blue"}) *
     (INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("FY23 TP",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)) = "X"))

Upvote 0
Try
Excel Formula:
=SUM(
     (INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Management Level",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)) = "7-Manager") *
     (INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("Portfolio",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)) = {"Red","Blue"}) *
     (INDEX('CL7'!$A$1:$AO$10000,0,MATCH("FY23 TP",'CL7'!$A$1:$AO$1,0)) = "X"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back