I have Excel 2007
I have two columns of data:

Booked Amount Actual Amount
10 11
100 95
20 14
50 64
100 120

I need an equation that will tell me how many cells in Column B (Actual) exceed the corresponding value in Column A (Booked) by 10% or more - the answer in this case is 3.

I cannot add extra columns as intermediate steps and the number of rows is dynamic over time.

My current solution would be to add a whole new tab to house the two columns and a third column that would check each row individually, returning a 1 or 0, and then do a SUM on that column and hide the tab. But I would like to avoid doing so and have it all in one equation.

Thanks!!!

Actually, I think what ended up sending my formula into returning errors was this... A2:A65536*1.1 you can't multiple text by 1.1.

In my experience, you don't need to use the double unary operator as long as you multiple the two by each other. (i.e. TRUE*TRUE = 1)

Also, to Aladin's response the OP said he couldn't add any new columns otherwise that is a more clear solution.

Thankfully, the original poster was able to salvage something workable from all of this. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I used your initial one, =SUMPRODUCT((B:B>=A:A*1.1)*ISNUMBER(A:A)).

The one thing I just realized is that the second column can also say 'Closed' and those are being counted as 10%+ greater. I'm working on modifying the equation now to ignore those.

Ignoring text in column B would just be
=SUMPRODUCT((B:B>=A:A*1.1)*ISNUMBER(A:A)*ISNUMBER(B:B))

again, amending the range to exclude any potential text cells in column A.

Upvote 0
I hate to have posted three times in a row, but this formula should take into account all of the possibilities mentioned in this thread and accurate give a result.

=SUMPRODUCT((B:B>=IF(ISNUMBER(A:A),A:A*1.1,1E+100))*ISNUMBER(A:A)*ISNUMBER(B:B))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppellatePerson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back