Count Today every 3rd column

jsimpser

Hi,
I am working with a spreadsheet where I need to count how many times yesterday's date is used in every 3rd column. There are multiple columns with dates, so I only need it from every 3rd column.the below expression works, but to enter it for the entire spreadsheet would take a long time as it goes until FO.

=COUNTIF(H6:H108,TODAY()-1)+COUNTIF(K6:K108,TODAY()-1)...

Anyone know how to do this in one formula instead of mutliple formulas added together?
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Try this:
MrExcel20200520.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS
2Count
65/20/2020
75/20/2020
95/20/2020
105/20/20205/20/2020
115/20/20205/21/2020
125/20/2020
135/20/2020
Sheet14
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3A3=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(H1:T1)-COLUMN(G1),3)=1)*(H6:T14=TODAY()-1))

Upvote 0
Thank you. Unfortunately, when I enter the formula listed and adjust the cells for my spreadsheet I get an answer of 0 when it should be 6

Upvote 0
Where is the upper left of your data block for counting...H6? and it runs through FO108?

If so, then this should work:
=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(H1:FO1)-COLUMN(G1),3)=1)*(H6:FO108=TODAY()-1))
I should have clarified too, this formula assumes that column H is the first column containing a date that you want to count...so H, K, N, etc will be counted. If this isn't correct, please clarify.

If it doesn't check the type of one of the dates that is not being counted. For example =TYPE(H8) and see if it reports back that it is a number (1) rather than text (2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried this resulting in the same 0. When checking the type it comes back as a number.

You are correct, it has data from H6 to AO108 currently with expansion coming.

Is there a way in the formula to have the number date converted to text date or counted as a number date instead of a text date?

Upvote 0
You mentioned in your first post that a long version of the formula was working. That version included the COUNTIF function used like this:
=COUNTIF(H6:H108,TODAY()-1)

TODAY() returns today's date, which is a number, so I'm assuming that if the COUNTIF function was generating an expected result, then using this:
(H6:FO108=TODAY()-1)
inside the SUMPRODUCT should also work. It works in my mock-up worksheet.
Could you copy the formula from your worksheet and paste it directly into a post here, please? I'm hesitant to begin inserting functions that convert numbers to text or vice versa without understanding the issue. To clarify, when you used the TYPE function on one of the dates that is not being counted, the function returned a 1, or did it return a 2?

Importantly, which column has the first value of TODAY()-1 that you want to count?

Upvote 0
For the type, it returned a 1
The today function first column is H.

My function is:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(H1:AO1)-COLUMN(G1),3)=1*(H6:AO108=TODAY()-1)))

Upvote 0
There is an issue with your parentheses...try this:
=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(H1:AO1)-COLUMN(G1),3)=1)*(H6:AO108=TODAY()-1))

Upvote 0
There are no missing or open parentheses. Simply select the entirety of the next line and paste it directly into your worksheet...
=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(H1:AO1)-COLUMN(G1),3)=1)*(H6:AO108=TODAY()-1))

Your formula in post #7 is incorrect in two places:
=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(H1:AO1)-COLUMN(G1),3)=1 [here you're missing a right parenthesis] * (H6:AO108=TODAY()-1)) [ ) here you've inserted this right parenthesis in the wrong place]

The suggested solution broken down into parts reduces to this:
=SUMPRODUCT( X )
X = ( MOD( Y - Z , 3 )=1 ) * ( U )
Y = COLUMN(H1:AO1)
Z = COLUMN(G1)
U = H6:AO108=TODAY()-1
You can count all left parentheses and see that they correspond to the same number of right parentheses.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaurav_7829

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back