Count unique text values based on condition in another column

himihai

Hello,

I need to count uniques text values in a column that contains names.
But I only need to count the unique values that are satisfying a condition in another column.

Example:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 166pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=222 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3766" width=103><COL style="WIDTH: 89pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4352" width=119><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 77pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" width=103 height=20>Group</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 89pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" width=119>Name</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>a</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>a</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>a</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>a</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>b</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>b</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>b</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>c</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Name 4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So I need to count unique names from group "a"

I already got the formula for counting the unique values from the whole list, and I just need to add the condition that would restrict the search only to one group (condition).

Any ideas?

You need to lock the relevant ranges in the formula, i.e.

In C42 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$42:$B$140=$B42,IF($B$42:$B$140<>"",MATCH("~"&$A$42:$A$140,$A$42:$A$140&"",0))),ROW($A$42:$A$140)-ROW($A$42)+1),1))

Worked like a champ! This formula would be used each month and the number of rows will change each time. Is there something similar that would have the same effect as the $B$42:$B$140 but cover all of column B?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Worked like a champ! This formula would be used each month and the number of rows will change each time. Is there something similar that would have the same effect as the $B$42:$B$140 but cover all of column B?

Define Arange in Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:

=Sheet1!$A$42:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",255),Sheet1$A:$A))

Define Brange in Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:

=Sheet1!$B$42:INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,MATCH(REPT("z",255),Sheet1$A:$A))

Adjust the sheet name ("Sheet1" above) to suit.

Now in C42 control+shift+enter and copy down:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Brange=$B42,IF(Brange<>"",MATCH("~"&Arange,Arange&"",0))),ROW(Arange)-ROW(INDEX(Arange,1,1))+1),1))

Upvote 0
Try...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A100="a",IF(B2:B100<>"",MATCH("~"&B2:B100,B2:B100&"",0))),ROW(B2:B100)-ROW(B2)+1),1))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. Adjust the ranges, accordingly.

This works great for me. However, my data set has 150,000 records so this runs very slowly. Is there a better, more efficient way to accomplish the same thing with a large data set?

Upvote 0
This works great for me. However, my data set has 150,000 records so this runs very slowly. Is there a better, more efficient way to accomplish the same thing with a large data set?

Care to post the formula as it is implemented in your workbook?

Upvote 0
Care to post the formula as it is implemented in your workbook?
Hi Aladin, I need some urgent help. I need to find the number of unique agencies below for number 1, but I need to exclude the agency named "HUMA" from the results. In this case, the answer would be 1(ie. Agency SOAP). What's the formula to do so? Assume the column "Number" is column A and column "Agency" is column B.

NumberAgency
1SOAP
2BALL
1HUMA
2NIJA
2POIS
1SOAP

<colgroup><col width="64" span="2" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin, I need some urgent help. I need to find the number of unique agencies below for number 1, but I need to exclude the agency named "HUMA" from the results. In this case, the answer would be 1(ie. Agency SOAP). What's the formula to do so? Assume the column "Number" is column A and column "Agency" is column B.

NumberAgency
1SOAP
2BALL
1HUMA
2NIJA
2POIS
1SOAP

<tbody>
</tbody>

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$7=1,IF(1-($B$2:$B$7=""),IF(1-($B$2:$B$7="HUMA",MATCH($B$2:$B$7,$B$2:$B$7,0)))),ROW($B$2:$B$7)-ROW($B$2)+1),1))

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$7=1,IF(1-($B$2:$B$7=""),IF(1-($B$2:$B$7="HUMA",MATCH($B$2:$B$7,$B$2:$B$7,0)))),ROW($B$2:$B$7)-ROW($B$2)+1),1))
I tried using this but Excel keeps showing the following error:

"There's a problem with this formula. No trying to type a formula? When the first character is an equal (=) or minus(-) sign, Excel thinks it's a formula..."

Maybe I am not using Ctrl+Shift+Enter correctly. I copied and pasted the formula you sent and pressed "Ctrl+Shift+Enter". It still showed the same error.

Also, a couple more questions:

1. If there are 1000 values in both column and A and B, can I just use $A:$A and $B:$B everywhere in the formula instead of $A$2:$A$7 and $B$2:$B$7 above?
2. If I have to exclude "SOAP" as well including "HUMA", how would the formula change?

Thanks for all the help!
Akshat

Upvote 0
I tried using this but Excel keeps showing the following error:

"There's a problem with this formula. No trying to type a formula? When the first character is an equal (=) or minus(-) sign, Excel thinks it's a formula..."

Maybe I am not using Ctrl+Shift+Enter correctly. I copied and pasted the formula you sent and pressed "Ctrl+Shift+Enter". It still showed the same error.

Also, a couple more questions:

1. If there are 1000 values in both column and A and B, can I just use $A:$A and $B:$B everywhere in the formula instead of $A$2:$A$7 and $B$2:$B$7 above?
2. If I have to exclude "SOAP" as well including "HUMA", how would the formula change?

Thanks for all the help!
Akshat

1. Define Number in the Name Manager as referring to:

=Sheet1!$A$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$A:$A))

Adjust the sheet name to suit.

2. Define Agency in the Name Manager as referring to:

=Sheet1!$B$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$B:$B))

3. Define Ivec in the Name Manager as referring to:

=ROW(Agency)-ROW(INDEX(Agency,1,1))+1

4. Excluding HUMA...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter: (the previous formula re-written in terms of the foregoing definitions & coorected for a parenthesis error)

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Number=1,IF(1-(Agency=""),IF(1-(Agency="HUMA"),MATCH(Agency,Agency,0)))),Ivec),1))

5. If you want to exclude SOAP as well as HUMA... Again, control+shift+enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Number=1,IF(1-(Agency=""),IF(ISNA(MATCH(Agency,{"HUMA";"SOAP},0)),MATCH(Agency,Agency,0)))),Ivec),1))

Upvote 0
1. Define Number in the Name Manager as referring to:

=Sheet1!$A$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$A:$A))

Adjust the sheet name to suit.

2. Define Agency in the Name Manager as referring to:

=Sheet1!$B$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$B:$B))

3. Define Ivec in the Name Manager as referring to:

=ROW(Agency)-ROW(INDEX(Agency,1,1))+1

4. Excluding HUMA...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter: (the previous formula re-written in terms of the foregoing definitions & coorected for a parenthesis error)

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Number=1,IF(1-(Agency=""),IF(1-(Agency="HUMA"),MATCH(Agency,Agency,0)))),Ivec),1))

5. If you want to exclude SOAP as well as HUMA... Again, control+shift+enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Number=1,IF(1-(Agency=""),IF(ISNA(MATCH(Agency,{"HUMA";"SOAP},0)),MATCH(Agency,Agency,0)))),Ivec),1))

The formula for Agency yields an error. Can you please let me know what's the purpose of Number, Agency and Ivec?

Thanks!
Akshat

Upvote 0
The formula for Agency yields an error. Can you please let me know what's the purpose of Number, Agency and Ivec?

Thanks!
Akshat

The definition for Agency should be:

=Sheet1!$B$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$A:$A))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back