countif([columnA],[@columnB]) in DAX or M?

alex1alex

Board Regular
Title says most of it...
I'd like the DAX or M equivalent of countif([columnA],[@columnB])
(where I'm getting a count of how many times the cell in columnB appears in columnA)

(As an aside, In the end, what I'm really looking to do is filter out any rows where @ColumnB isn't in ColumnA. I'm using the PATH function and it doesn't like for you to include rows where the parent_columnName isn't in ID_columnName)

Thanks,
Alex

Using that same table that ImkeF created (just the tall one), follow the steps found in the following code:
Code:
let    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ColA", type text}, {"ColB", type text}, {"ColC", type text}, {"ColD", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Count( List.Select(#"Changed Type"[ColB], (x) => x =[ColA])))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hi Miguel :)
I love the beauty of construction in #"Added Custom" step !!!
But for a larger number of rows, I think better will be the code below.
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ColA", type text}, {"ColB", type text}, {"ColC", type text}, {"ColD", type text}}),
    TblColACount = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"ColA"}, {{"How many", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}}),
    MerTbls = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"ColB"}, TblColACount, {"ColA"},"New"),
    ExpCol = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MerTbls, "New", {"How many"}, {"How many"})
in
    ExpCol

Regards :)

Upvote 0
hey Bill,

My previous code is not by any means the desired way to do things in Power Query, but its the direct equivalent of adding a COUNTIF column to a table which is what I think the OP requested. I do agree with you that using Table.Group is the way to go as it usually does work with Query folding and there's probably even room for improvement.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Awesome stuff. I appreciate you all building off of each other's replies as it lets me work through them all :)
In the end I ended up with the last reply from Bill. It's interesting how you broke up the problem. I was stuck on counting items in column B based on column A...and you started with column A counting and only then associated it to column B.

(To continue on the aside..instead of doing the above recursively, I realized that I could just leave the hanging leafs in the data and clean them up by making them point to themselves since PATH can deal with that.)

Ta!
Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back