COUNTIF formula Help!!!!!!

Runner10

I have 2 columns of data. The left column is whether the individual has good or bad behavior. The right column is whether the individual had a positive or negative experience in the emergency room. I have this formula below, which tells me if the one individual had both bad behavior AND a negative emergency room experience.

=IF(AND(BI10=7,AX10=3),"Yes","No")

However, I have over 400 individuals in my study. How can I adjust this formula to tell me how many individuals had both bad behavior AND a negative emergency room experience? I'm thinking I have to add COUNT or COUNTIF into the above formula? But I'm not sure how to set this all up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have one line per individual (so 400), and want to know how many have put 7 in column BI and 3 in column AX, you can use
Code:
=contifs(BI:BI,7,AX:AX,3)

or you can count the "yes"
Code:
=countif(column where you have your formula:column where you have your formul,"yes")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you! I tried as you suggested and it works!

Now, I have just 1 follow up question:
So right now, I have this: =COUNTIFS(A16:A417,1,B16:B417,7)
This tells me of the people who selected choice 1 in column A, how many of them also selected choice 7 in column B.

Now I also need to know, of the people who selected choice 1 in column A, how many of them selected choices 1-6 (all combined together) in column B. Or another way of saying this is I need to find out how many people who selected choice A in column 1 did NOT select choice 7 in column B.
I tried this, but it's off: =COUNTIFS(A16:A417,1,B16:B417,"=<6")

Can you please help me with this too? THANK YOU!

Upvote 0
Thank you! I tried as you suggested and it works!

Now, I have just 1 follow up question:
So right now, I have this: =COUNTIFS(A16:A417,1,B16:B417,7)
This tells me of the people who selected choice 1 in column A, how many of them also selected choice 7 in column B.

Now I also need to know, of the people who selected choice 1 in column A, how many of them selected choices 1-6 (all combined together) in column B. Or another way of saying this is I need to find out how many people who selected choice A in column 1 did NOT select choice 7 in column B.
I tried this, but it's off: =COUNTIFS(A16:A417,1,B16:B417,"=<6")

Can you please help me with this too? THANK YOU!

Try...

=COUNTIFS(A16:A417,1,B16:B417,"<>7")

Upvote 0
THANK YOU!
So this formula looks through all cells in column B for how many cells have numbers bigger or less than 7, but not equal to 7, right?

Upvote 0
Another follow up question, for the equation below how can I adjust it so that answer choices 2, 4 and 7 are excluded from the count, instead of just excluding 7?

thank you.

Upvote 0
Another follow up question, for the equation below how can I adjust it so that answer choices 2, 4 and 7 are excluded from the count, instead of just excluding 7?

thank you.

=COUNTIFS(A16:A417,1,B16:B417,"<>2",B16:B417,"<>4",B16:B417,"<>7")

which is not general.

A better option is:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A16:A417=1),1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(B16:B417,{2,4,7},0)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dizze90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back