COUNTIFS w/Wildcards

DynamicsOf3

I have data in one sheet where the headings and data looks like:

IDNAMEFACTIONQUALITYTYPELEVELMIGHTROW 1ROW 2ROW 3ROW 4ROW 5
496833504Miraculous Throne of Atlas +18fey6chair18180015000173% Attack357% Load523% Attack699% Attack905% Load

<tbody>
</tbody>

Currently there are 1K+ lines of data with more being added every day. In Headings Row 1 through Row 5 could be 1 of 125 different values (Attack, Load, etc). On another sheet I want to extrapolate the effects to columns where the effect is the heading. The two issues I'm having is ignoring the percentage and some effects are similar (Attack, Attack Debuff)

I want to write a formula that will look at Column H (Row 1) through Column L (Row 5) line-by-line and (with this sample line) 3 under Attack, 0 under Attack Debuff and 2 under Load. I know I can use COUNTIFS(TR.$H2:$L2;".*Attack") under the Attack Column and COUNTIFS(TR.$H2:$L2;".*Attack Debuff") under the Attack Debuff column and get the results I'm looking for.

Although I could do this under all 125 columns (fairly quickly), is there a better way to achieve these results where I could use a row/column reference rather than the text reference. For reference, Attack is in H1 while Attack Debuff is in I1.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sure:
= COUNTIFS(TR.$H2:$L2;".*"&$h$1)
For example

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jominadeo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back