Counting the number of series of consecutive positive and negatives numbers

outofdebt

Hey everyone.
I need help creating a macro or worksheet formula that will count the number of series of consecutive profits and losses in a dynamic column.

Sometimes there may be as few as 50 rows of profits and losses (in a random order) in the column; other times 500 rows or more. The column length is dynamic.

Suppose column A has the following profits and losses in cells A1 to A10, and for simplicity here each profit given a "(+)" and a loss a "(-)"

-174.56 (-)
796.36 (+)
- 63.77 (-)
- 14.96 (-)
95.63 (+)
69.23 (+)
47.85 (+)
-189.46 (-)
-479.63 (-)
-821.45 (-)

Each time the sign changes, a new consecutive series begins. So in this case, there are a total of 5 series of either consecutive profits or losses:
1st series = -174.56
2nd series = 796.36
3rd series = -63.77, -14.96
4th series = 95.63, 69.23, 47.85
5th series = -189.46, -479.63, -821.45

Any help is appreciated. I am considering using a "1" and "0" instead of + and -

Thanks.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Welcome to the board!

How do you see the output from this exercise displayed?

Upvote 0
Set your sheet as:
<table width="452" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="241"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:694;width:14pt" width="19"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1572;width:32pt" width="43"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:877;width:18pt" width="24"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5522;width:113pt" width="151"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;width:14pt" width="19" align="center" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-left:none;width:32pt" width="43" align="center">A</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-left:none;width:18pt" width="24" align="center">B</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-left:none;width:113pt" width="151" align="center">C</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">1</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">-174,56</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(-)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">The 1° series has 1 element/s.</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">2</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">796,36</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(+)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">The 2° series has 1 element/s.</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">3</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">-63,77</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(-)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">4</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">-14,96</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(-)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">The 3° series has 2 element/s.</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">5</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">95,63</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(+)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">6</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">69,23</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(+)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">7</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">47,85</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(+)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">The 4° series has 3 element/s.</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">8</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">-189,46</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(-)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">9</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">-479,63</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(-)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="center" height="20">10</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">-821,45</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">(-)</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="center">The 5° series has 3 element/s.</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Column C will be your output. Try this:
Code:
Sub test()
n = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Range("C1:C" & n).ClearContents
For r = 1 To n
If Cells(r, 1).Value > 0 Then
i = i + 1
   If Cells(r + 1, 1).Value < 0 Or Cells(r + 1, 1).Value = "" Then
   k = k + 1
   Cells(r, 3) = "The " & k & "° series has " & i & " element/s."
   i = 0
   End If
End If
If Cells(r, 1).Value < 0 Then
j = j + 1
   If Cells(r + 1, 1).Value > 0 Or Cells(r + 1, 1).Value = "" Then
   k = k + 1
   Cells(r, 3) = "The " & k & "° series has " & j & " element/s."
   j = 0
   End If
End If
Next

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the board!

How do you see the output from this exercise displayed?

Thanks for the reply Weaver. I guess I should mention that I've been a "long time lurker" here, and I have been reading many of the threads and stuff here for several months as I am trying to learn VBA for a big project I am working on.

THIS SITE IS AWESOME!!! :cool: (I don't know why I never registered until now... ?)

Also, I guess I should mention that I do have some coding experience in other languages, so I'm not a total noob as far as that goes.

Anyways ... back to my OP:
This is an input for a "Z-Score" formula that is part of a risk analysis spreadsheet project, BTW.

What I need the total number of consecutive series of either positive (profit) or negative (loss) cell values in a range of cells (which can be any column, BTW, I am just using A1:A10 here as illustration).

The ouptput will simply an integer value displayed in a single cell representing this total which will serve as an input to a larger formula, as I mentioned above.

I had a few ideas about using the worksheet function: COUNTIF(A1:A10, ">0") and "<0" to get the number of positive and negative values in the Range A1:A10. I do need that, but that isn't what my question is about.

I give another example, and hopefully this will clarify things a bit. Lets we have a series (which will be any random series, btw, not necessarily this one) of + and - values:
- + - ++ - - +++ (from left to right corresponding to cells A1:A10)

This first series is negative and consists of one cell (A1), the second series is positive and also consists of only one cell (A2), the third series has two positive cells, the fourth has two negative cells, and so on... here there are 6 series on consecutive numbers (either pos or neg) in the whole range.

What I am interested in here is total number of series (first, second, third ...) ... until we count the last series. So, hypothetically, if the last series is the eighty-seventh series, then the integer "87" is the number I am after. This is the desired output.

Again, thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Set your sheet as:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452 height=241><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 14pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 694" width=19><COL style="WIDTH: 32pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1572" width=43><COL style="WIDTH: 18pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 877" width=24><COL style="WIDTH: 113pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5522" width=151></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="WIDTH: 14pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" class=xl67 height=20 width=19 align=middle>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 32pt" class=xl68 width=43 align=middle>A</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 18pt" class=xl68 width=24 align=middle>B</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 113pt" class=xl68 width=151 align=middle>C</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>1</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>-174,56</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(-)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>The 1° series has 1 element/s.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>2</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>796,36</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(+)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>The 2° series has 1 element/s.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>3</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>-63,77</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(-)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>4</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>-14,96</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(-)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>The 3° series has 2 element/s.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>5</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>95,63</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(+)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>6</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>69,23</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(+)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>7</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>47,85</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(+)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>The 4° series has 3 element/s.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>8</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>-189,46</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(-)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>9</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>-479,63</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(-)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl69 height=20 align=middle>10</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl70 align=middle>-821,45</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl68 align=middle>(-)</TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none" class=xl71 align=middle>The 5° series has 3 element/s.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Column C will be your output. Try this:
Code:
Sub test()
n = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Range("C1:C" & n).ClearContents
For r = 1 To n
i = i + 1
   If Cells(r + 1, 1).Value < 0 Or Cells(r + 1, 1).Value = "" Then
   k = k + 1
   Cells(r, 3) = "The " & k & "° series has " & i & " element/s."
   i = 0
   End If
End If
j = j + 1
   If Cells(r + 1, 1).Value > 0 Or Cells(r + 1, 1).Value = "" Then
   k = k + 1
   Cells(r, 3) = "The " & k & "° series has " & j & " element/s."
   j = 0
   End If
End If
Next

End Sub

Thanks for the reply. I may be able to get this ^^ to work if I total column C to get the integer value I need. I'll have to give it a try and see if I can make it work.

Upvote 0
Couldn't edit my post (#4 in this thread) so I would like to add this to it:
The number of consecutive values in each series is completey random. They range from 1 consecutive value (pos or neg) to any number of consecutive values (all pos or neg). For example, there could be a series with 29 positives in a row, or 17 negatives in a row. It is 100% random, and each of these counts as a sinlge series and will add "1" to the total count. (A series of 29 cells all + or a series of 17 negative cells .... and so on)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*** UPDATE ***

Ok, I have figured how to modify machopicho's code to work for my application. I had to change it around a bit. As of now, it counts the number of series of consecutive pos or neg numbers and places them in column B. I divide the number of elements (contained in the counter variables "p" and "n") by their reciprocals so there are only 1's which will be tallied up to get the grand total of series, the number I am after.

Here is the code:
Code:
Sub CountConsecSeries()

Dim r As Long
    Dim p As Integer, n As Integer 'p = positive counter, n = negative counter

Sheets("Sheet3").Activate
    lastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    Range("B1:B" & lastRow).ClearContents

For r = 2 To lastRow
            p = p + 1
            If Cells(r - 1, 1) < 0 Then
                Cells(r - 1, 2) = n * (1 / n) 'will always equal "1"
                n = 0
            End If
        End If

n = n + 1
                If Cells(r - 1, 1) > 0 Then
                    Cells(r - 1, 2) = p * (1 / p)
                    p = 0
                End If
        End If

Next r

' for last remaining series after the loops
    If n > 0 Then
        Cells(r - 1, 2) = n * (1 / n)
    Else
        Cells(r - 1, 2) = p * (1 / p)
    End If
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back