Crashing Excel with simple data validation

ieJasonW

I'm building a small interface and I need the user to input a value (from 1 to 50) in one cell, and for the spreadsheet to dynamically create a little table with the number of columns they enter. Here's the code I'm using -- its crashing my Excel 2007. Just an FYI, its running in compatability mode b/c the original file was started in Excel 2003:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim i As Integer, nl As Integer
nl = Cells(20, 4).Value
For i = 1 To nl
Cells(23, 4 + i).Value = i
Next i
End Sub

Thanks in advance for why it might be crashing.
ieJasonW

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I should add that the cell where a user inputs their number of columns has data validation on it -- so they can only choose values from 1 to 50 from a drop down list.

:)

ieJasonW

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Try turning off events. I'd imagine you're getting stuck in a recursive loop, in which the change event gets called ad infinitum.

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>, nl <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN><br>        <br>        nl = Cells(20, 4).Value<br>        <br>        Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> nl<br>                Cells(23, 4 + i).Value = i<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>        Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

You also might want to try using the Target property of the change event.

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0
I was getting into a loop. It just kept churning though! :LOL:

Thanks for the help. It cleared things right up.

Also, as soon as I posted I tried to add 'End' to the code. It seemed to work too. Thanks for the help! ieJasonW

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim i As Integer, nl As Integer
nl = Cells(20, 4).Value 'Number of Layers

For i = 1 To nl
Cells(23, 4 + i).Value = i
Next i
End '**********Here********

End Sub

Upvote 0
I don't know how reliable End will be in this case because you're addressing the problem after it's occurred. EnableEvents nixes it from the start. ;)

Upvote 0
It's not a good idea to use End. My understanding is that it is similar to quitting excel by terminating the Excel.exe process in Task Manager.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help everyone! :) After Smitty's suggestion I read up on ActiveEvents in a Business Solutions book I bought. It explained why my trying to change the sheet caused an infinite loop. That makes tons of sense.

Also, now I need to do some basic formatting for the chart I'm making - color fill, borders that are grey instead of black, etc. And I'm a little confused with how to refer to each of these properties/objects. For example, is there somewhere I can find a list of the names for the line weights and what they look like? What about for colors? Do I need to always look up a color from the custom color tool in the cell format portion of the menu bar? And what are the members of the format object?

I hope that all makes sense. I'm getting confused when I read about words like objects, properties, methods, classes, etc. I don't understand why I'm so lost! Hahaha.

ieJasonW

Upvote 0
You can access most of them. Here's an example on cell background colors:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> GetColors()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 56<br>            Cells(i, 1) = i<br>            Cells(i, 2).Interior.ColorIndex = i<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

A great place to start is the VB helpfile, and the MSDN has a lot of stuff too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back