Create a key for just the records returned in a query?

epb613

Hi,

My team and I are working on researching some of the accounts in our database. Our database contains 15,000 accounts and we're recording our research results into an updatable query containing a subset of about 10,000 of them.

I want to add a field to the table and populate it with which team member is assigned to each account. Basically, accounts 1-3000 in the query will be assigned to Person A, 3000-6000 will go to Person B, ect...

Normally, I would use an update query to populate the names, but the only criterion I'm using for assignment is the row number in the query. I can't use the index field from the table, because the query only uses a subset of the total accounts (i.e., records 1-3000 on the table only covers rows 1-2500 on the query). And anyhow, the Primary Key in the table is the account number which isn't sequential. Is there a way to create a seperate auto-incrementing key for just the records in the query?

Does anyone have any idea how I might create this field? Someone showed me a trick where you can copy the whole query into excel, make your changes, then paste it back into Access, but when I tried that, Access gave me an error saying it couldn't lock so many records (it's >10,000). I'm sure I can jury rig something that will get the job done (an update query based on arbitrary criteria), but it will be slow and tedious, so I was curious to know if there's a "right" way to do this?

Thanks,
Pinny

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back