Create link to specific word on different worksheet

ymerryweather

Hello,
Is there a way I can create a link in excel to go to a specific name on a different worksheet in the same workbook? I am trying to create a link in cell J4, Candidate Notes, that will located his name on a separate worksheet in the same workbook labeled CANDIDATE NOTES. Is there a way to do this? If I wanted this link to find his name anywhere in the workbook, is there also a link to do that?
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

1675952203785.png

Copy and paste this macro into the worksheet code module. Do the following: right click the tab name for your FT EXPERIENCED sheet and click 'View Code'. Paste the macro into the empty code window that opens up. Close the code window to return to your sheet. Double click on a name in column A.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
    Dim srcWS As Worksheet, rName As Range
    Set srcWS = Sheets("CANDIDATE NOTES")
    Set rName = srcWS.Range("A:A").Find(Target, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
    If Not rName Is Nothing Then
        srcWS.Activate
        rName.Select
    Else
        MsgBox (Target & " does not exist in 'CANDIDATE NOTES'.")
    End If
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
No the blank line does not need to be under the header. I deleted that. The first worksheet I posted is labeled FT EXPERIENCED. The second screenshot is CANDIDATE NOTES.

Many thanks!

Upvote 0
I don't need the blank line under the headers and have deleted that. The two worksheets are labeled FT EXPERIENCED and CANDIDATE NOTES. Thank you!

Upvote 0
I don't need the blank line under the headers and have deleted that. The two worksheets are labeled FT EXPERIENCED and CANDIDATE NOTES. Thank you!
Try the code that Mumps has posted. What I had in mind.

Upvote 0
Thank you to you both Herakles and Mumps!! Unfortunately, I am still having an issue with the code. It's likely something I didn't explain correctly so I'm hopeful by offering a little more information, you can offer a solution? Currently, I'm receiving an error prompt that states that the name does not exist in CANDIDATE NOTES when I click on the candidate name on the FT EXPERIENCED worksheet.

On the FT EXPERIENCED page, the candidate's name is in cell A
1675962078193.png

I would like the code to find the first line where the candidate's name is first mentioned on the CANDIDATE NOTES worksheet. Am I doing something incorrectly?
1675962235364.png

Here is a screenshot of my worksheets:
1675962355015.png

Upvote 0
Are the names in CANDIDATE NOTES in column A?

Does the one you clicked on actually exist?

Does it work for any of them?

Upvote 0
Make sure that the names in both sheets are identical. Check for such things as extra spaces at the front and end of the names and any punctuation.

Upvote 0
So I checked everything and it seems like the names are consistent between the two sheets.

This is my FT EXPERIENCED worksheet and the one I added the code too. When I click on the candidate name, it can't locate him in my CANDIDATE NOTES worksheet.
1675972127309.png

The CANDIDATE NOTES worksheet is below. My candidate names are located in column B
1675972673089.png

I would love for this to work and really appreciate you both for all the time you've spent helping me with this!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back