Create matrix of combinations from list of values/attributes

ArsenioV4

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks!
I’m working on a products dataset I need to conform to a different layout and format and I’m bugged since days with an obstacle I am not able to overcome.

My dataset has SKUs in column A, semicolon-delimited sizes in column B and semicolon-delimited colors in column C.

I would need to create a matrix that outputs on a new sheet all the possible combinations of sizes and colors respectively in columns B and C, along with the corresponding SKU in column A.

This is an example of my starting dataset:

skusizecolor
SKU136;37Black;Red
SKU245;46;47Green;Yellow;Purple
SKU340;41;42;43Blue;Grey;Orange;Teal

And this is my expected output (taking the first 2 SKUs as example):

skusizecolor
SKU1
36​
Black
SKU1
36​
Red
SKU1
37​
Black
SKU1
37​
Red
SKU2
45​
Green
SKU2
45​
Yellow
SKU2
45​
Purple
SKU2
46​
Green
SKU2
46​
Yellow
SKU2
46​
Purple
SKU2
47​
Green
SKU2
47​
Yellow
SKU2
47​
Purple

I would prefer a Formula if possible but I'm open to using PowerQuery as well.
I hope someone is able to help me as I'm really going crazy with this!

Thanks in advance 😊😊

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Here's one way:

Assuming your SKU/Size/color table is in A1:C4, try:

Code:
=VSTACK(
TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("@",,TOCOL(A2&"|"&TEXTSPLIT(B2,";")&"|"&TRANSPOSE(TEXTSPLIT(C2,";")))),"|","@",TRUE),
TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("@",,TOCOL(A3&"|"&TEXTSPLIT(B3,";")&"|"&TRANSPOSE(TEXTSPLIT(C3,";")))),"|","@",TRUE),
TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("@",,TOCOL(A4&"|"&TEXTSPLIT(B4,";")&"|"&TRANSPOSE(TEXTSPLIT(C4,";")))),"|","@",TRUE))

Upvote 0
Here's one way:

Assuming your SKU/Size/color table is in A1:C4, try:

Code:
=VSTACK(
TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("@",,TOCOL(A2&"|"&TEXTSPLIT(B2,";")&"|"&TRANSPOSE(TEXTSPLIT(C2,";")))),"|","@",TRUE),
TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("@",,TOCOL(A3&"|"&TEXTSPLIT(B3,";")&"|"&TRANSPOSE(TEXTSPLIT(C3,";")))),"|","@",TRUE),
TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("@",,TOCOL(A4&"|"&TEXTSPLIT(B4,";")&"|"&TRANSPOSE(TEXTSPLIT(C4,";")))),"|","@",TRUE))
Thanks Oaktree for your answer. Unfortunately the dataset is quite large with more than 2500 rows (unique SKUs) each with a variable number of options for size and color - would say 1 to 15 for sizes and 1 to 8 for colors.

Sorry for not having specified this before! Do you have any other ideas that don’t involve coding in each cell manually?

Thanks mate!

Upvote 0
Problem solved myself using Power Query - not ideal for my case as I would have preferred a formula but at the end it does the job!

I’ll leave the steps here in case anyone else needs this:
  1. select range that contains the data you need, including the headers if present;
  2. go on Data tab > select From range or table. This will open up Power Query with the selected range from the Excel sheet;
  3. select the first column with the list of values/options (in my case it’s Size) by clicking on the column header then go to Transform > Split column > By delimiter (semicolon in my case). This will create “X” columns containing one value each from the list of the original column. In my case the columns will be named “size.1”, “size.2” etc…;
  4. do the same for the second (or more) column. You will now have a “X” number of “size” columns and “Y” number of “color” columns in my case;
  5. select all the columns for one of the values, “size” in my case, and then right click > Unpivot columns. This will transform the columns giving you one “Attributes” column containing the names of the previous split columns and one “Values” column containing the values for those options, one in each row, and duplicating the other referenced values from the original table rows. Do the same for the other columns for the second set of options (in my case the “color” columns) and at the end you will obtain the data in the needed layout. Click “Save & Load” to load the transformed data in a new Sheet and delete the “Attributes” column(s) if not needed in your data.

You will now have this exact data layout!

skusizecolor
SKU136Black
SKU136Red
SKU137Black
SKU137Red
SKU245Green
SKU245Yellow
SKU245Purple
SKU246Green
SKU246Yellow
SKU246Purple
SKU247Green
SKU247Yellow
SKU247Purple

If someone ever comes across a Formula solution for this, please post it in the thread 😉

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back