Create new sheet, name it, and add a formula with for loop?

pythonruby

Hi, I keep getting errors with this vba code. I'm trying to make 10 new worksheets with the name of each worksheet in the Newname array. I'm trying to put the same formula (with the difference that each formula would take from a different "Newname" file. I'm trying to put firstformula from A1 to A 560 and secondformula from B1 to B 560.

Sub Namesheetformula()
For x = 1 to 10
Newname = Choose(x,"A","B","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j")
Firstformula = if(isna(match('Master!'A1,'Newname'!A1:A560,0),"",'Master'!A1)
Secondformula = if(isna(match('Master!'A1,'New'!A1:A560,0),"",index('Newname'!A1:A1000,match('Master!'A1,'Newname'!A1:A560,0)))
Sheets(Sheets.count).Name = Newname
ws.Range("A1:A560").Formula = Firstformula
ws.Range("B1:B560").Formula = Secondformula
End Sub

<colgroup><col width="65" style="width:65pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
<!--StartFragment-->
<!--EndFragment-->
</tbody>

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Ok, try this....but note your formula gives a circular reference, so check it out.
Code:
Sub Namesheetformula()
Dim newname As String, ws As Worksheet
    For x = 1 To 10
        newname = Choose(x, "A", "B", "c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j")
        Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
        ActiveSheet.Name = newname
        ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)),"""",Master!A1)"
        ActiveSheet.Range("B1:B560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)),"""",index(A1:A1000,match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)))"
    Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Michael:

Thank you! Sorry, I just realized my circular reference lol. It was supposed to be Newname_sheet instead of Newname in the formulas inputed in columns A and B. Each sheet would be different, newname_a, newname_b, etc. I tried inputting that into the vba editor and changing your code a bit but it just keeps giving me an error.
For my Match function it is supposed to look like this:
match
"=if(isna(match
('Master'!A1,'Newname_Sheet'A1:A560,0),"""",'Master'!A1)

Sub Namesheetformula()Dim newname As String, ws As Worksheet For x = 1 To 10 newname = Choose(x, "A", "B", "c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j") Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count) ActiveSheet.Name = newname ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1,'"Newname" & "_sheet"'A1:A560,0)),"""",Master!A1)" ActiveSheet.Range("B1:B560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)),"""",index('"Newname" & "_sheet"'A1:A1000,match(Master!A1,'"Newname" & "_sheet"'A1:A560,0)))"
Next xEnd Sub

Upvote 0
You don't need the newname sheet in the formula, because the formula will be inserted into the new sheet as it is created, hence removing the need for the name
Code:
Sub Namesheetformula2()
For x = 1 To 10
ActiveSheet.Name = newname
ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)),"""",Master!A1)"
ActiveSheet.Range("B1:B560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)),"""",index(A1:A1000,match(Master!A1,A1:A560,0)))"
Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Michael, I do need the newname in the formula. I need my formula to say

=if(isna(match('Master'!A1, 'newname_sheet'!A1:A560, 0)),"",'Master'!A1)

I need the formula to reference two different worksheets. My formula references my worksheet: Master, and my worksheets: a_sheet, b_sheet, c_sheet. I already have an existing worksheet called master and sheets called newname_sheet(a_sheet, b_sheet, c_sheet, etc.)

Right now the formula doesn't reference 'newname_sheet"A1:A560, but simply references 'a'!A1:A560. Does that make sense? Thank you!

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm a little confused.......but that's not hard...:oops:
Try
Code:
Sub Namesheetformula2()
For x = 1 To 10
ActiveSheet.Name = newname & "_Sheet"
ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1," & newname & "_Sheet!A1:A560,0)),"""",Master!A1)"
ActiveSheet.Range("B1:B560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1," & newname & "_Sheet!A1:A560,0)),"""",index(A1:A1000,match(Master!A1," & newname & "_Sheet!A1:A560,0)))"
Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Worked perfectly! Thank you!!! On mrexcel, do they give points for answers, like they do on yahooanswers? (Sorry for the confusion, my VBA status is still a newb)I am trying to learn though, so I was wondering why it wasn't simply (Master!A1, newname & "_Sheet"!A1:A560,0)). Is this syntax? When in a formula it must be named "& Variable &" and in a non-formula we can just type variable & string (newname & "_sheet")?

ActiveSheet.Name = newname & "_Sheet"ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A560").Formula = "=if(isna(match(Master!A1," & newname & "_Sheet!A1:A560,0)),"""",Master!A1)"</pre>

Upvote 0
That simply means the code will add a sheet after the last sheet ( Sheets.count)

Sheets.Add ADD A NEW SHEET
after:= 'OBVIOUS
Sheets(Sheets.Count) THE LAST SHEET

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back