Creating a group index column based on the columns I unpivoted

gxm204

Hi, I am using this wholesale customers dataset as an example.

Using PQ, I have unpivoted all the columns from Fresh to Delicassen as shown below. What I would like to do next is create a column "Order ID" that would work like an Index column, except it's incrementing by 1 with each new occurrence of "Fresh" (the first un-pivoted column).

What would be the best way to do this in PQ? Thanks all

2019-12-26_12-53-36.png

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
maybe
Code:
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Calculated Modulo" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.Mod(_, 6), type number}})

or if you want Fresh as 1 not 0
Code:
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Calculated Modulo" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.Mod(_, 6), type number}}),
    #"Added to Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Calculated Modulo", {{"Index", each _ + 1, type number}})

Upvote 0
I like it! Yeah, using the modulo with the index got me thinking, I could use integer division along with the index to come up with that column, if I start the index at 6. Here is what I came up with, I am dependent on the GUI for my M code so it could be a little clunky.

Code:
let
    #"Wholesale customers data" = let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\GeorgeM\Downloads\Wholesale customers data.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=8, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Channel", Int64.Type}, {"Region", Int64.Type}, {"Fresh", Int64.Type}, {"Milk", Int64.Type}, {"Grocery", Int64.Type}, {"Frozen", Int64.Type}, {"Detergents_Paper", Int64.Type}, {"Delicassen", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Channel", "Region"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Calculated Modulo" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.Mod(_, 6), type number}}),
    #"Added to Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Calculated Modulo", {{"Index", each _ + 1, type number}})
in
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns",
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Wholesale customers data", "Index", 6, 1),
    #"Inserted Integer-Division" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Integer-Division", each Number.IntegerDivide([Index], 6), Int64.Type)
in
    #"Inserted Integer-Division"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back