ChrisC
DaveD
EthelA
FrankB
GaryA
HenryF

<tbody>
</tbody>

which will then list all students that have a particular grade. So referencing the above, the final result would look like:

Students with A's
Albert
Ethel
Gary

<tbody>
</tbody>

Using

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("A",B:B,0))

I can get the first value of A to populate, the additional cells return the same value (IE, they all return Albert). I had thought to use COUNTIF

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("A",COUNTIF($C$2:C2,B:B),0))

where $C$2:C2 Is the actual column which contains the formula. 2nd cell would be $C$2:C3 and so on. Using this formula it simply returns a 0.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
It was easier to upload to google docs. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3RWXzuH0ysvUjBsTjFkRDhJSk0

I'm trying to create a dynamic work schedule that references the Master Names tab to auto-populate the current day tab. In this case, only Sunday shows up and only one of the 15 job codes are being used for simplicity.

On the Master Names tab there are five sections which could prevent a persons name from showing up in the auto-populated list for Sunday: Unexcused Absence, Excused Absence, Light Duty, New Hire Training and Vacation. Each section is broken down in to Six days of the week Sun - Fri. If someone is out for one of those given days we'll put an X in that cell. On the Sunday tab, if there is an X present in the Sunday Column of one or more of the 5 sections on the Master Names sheet, then they will not populate as part of Sunday's Schedule.

I was able to reference all the Sunday Sections on the COUNTIFS using:

=COUNTIFS('Master Names'!$C:$C,Sunday!$G18,'Master Names'!$D:$D,"<>X",'Master Names'!$J:$J,"<>X",'Master Names'!$P:$P,"<>X",'Master Names'!$V:$V,"<>X",'Master Names'!$AB:$AB,"<>X")

It didn't seem to work on the index which references the name:

=IFERROR(INDEX('Master Names'!$B:$B,SMALL(IF('Master Names'!$C:$C=$G$18,IF(1-('Master Names'!$D:$D="X"),ROW('Master Names'!$B:$B)-MIN(ROW('Master Names'!$B:$B))+1)),ROWS(C$3:C3))),"")

Upvote 0
This is the formula I finally came up with

=IFERROR(INDEX('Master Names'!$F:$F,SMALL(IF('Master Names'!$G:$G=$Q$16,IF(1-(('Master Names'!$J:$J="X")+('Master Names'!P:P="X")+('Master Names'!V:V="X")+('Master Names'!AB:AB="X")+('Master Names'!AH:AH="X")),ROW('Master Names'!$F:$F)-MIN(ROW('Master Names'!$F:$F))+1)),ROWS(K$13:K42))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jominadeo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back