Creating a Rotating Seniority List based on being asked and being accepted.

Squeak74

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Web
Hello,

I am trying to create a rotating list of workers based on seniority, that would rotate based on the answers to two questions.
1. Were they asked? Y or N
a. If Y, then they would move to the bottom of the list.
b. If N, then they would not move down, but could move up if the person below them were asked.
2. Did they accept? Y or N
a. If Y, then they would move to the bottom of the list.
b. If N, then they would still move to the bottom of the list.

YES! That is exactly what I have been looking for! Is there an easy enough way to make this dynamic where I can use the "New List" to generate the next "New List" and so on and so on? Sorry to ask so much, but this would solve a huge headache that has plagued my department for years.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I can use the "New List" to generate the next "New List" and so on and so on?
I'm not clear on exactly what you mean. Perhaps it is that you need to copy the first new list and paste as values, alter any relevant values then apply the formula to that new data?

Upvote 0
In other words, when the new list is generated after rotating the original "based on seniority" list, I want to use the new list to generate the next "new list" and do so perpetually. Basically, seniority only matters the first time the list is generated, after that it gets rotated based the new list that is generated, so on and so forth.

Upvote 0
I'm still not sure how you envisage that on the worksheet. Using post #10 mini sheet as a starting point ..

1. If you want to keep a record of all the changes then
    • Copy A12:D20 and Paste into cell A23
    • While the Copy is still active, Paste Special (Values) back into the A10:D20 range
    • Edit any relevant Y/N value changes in C13:D20 and the new order will appear in A23:D31
    • Repeat the above steps down the worksheet for each set of changes

OR
  2. If you don't want to keep the history
    • Copy A13:D20 and Paste Special (Values) into A2 to replace the original values/order.
    • Make any relevant Y/N value changes in C2:D9 and the new order will appear in A13:D20
    • Repeat the above steps as required.

Upvote 0
I'm still not sure how you envisage that on the worksheet. Using post #10 mini sheet as a starting point ..

1. If you want to keep a record of all the changes then
    • Copy A12:D20 and Paste into cell A23
    • While the Copy is still active, Paste Special (Values) back into the A10:D20 range
    • Edit any relevant Y/N value changes in C13:D20 and the new order will appear in A23:D31
    • Repeat the above steps down the worksheet for each set of changes

OR
  2. If you don't want to keep the history
    • Copy A13:D20 and Paste Special (Values) into A2 to replace the original values/order.
    • Make any relevant Y/N value changes in C2:D9 and the new order will appear in A13:D20
    • Repeat the above steps

Upvote 0
I will give this a try on Monday from my work PC and see what it yields. I will update you of the results and will also share with you the handwritten examples of what I am looking to have automated. I think I have an idea.of how to make it work, but will not have time to review it until Monday.

Thank you again for your help this far Peter. I'll be in touch in a few days.

If you are one who celebrates, I hope you have a Happy Easter.

If you do not celebrate, then I hope you enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

Best,
Jim

Upvote 0
Peter,

I'm not sure what happened with post #10, but now when I try to utilize the BB2XL copy to clipboard function it no longer works as it did on Saturday. Now when I use it, I get a #NAME? error on Cell A13 and if I apply it to the range A13:D20 I get the same #NAME? error across the board. I've included images for reference.

Jim

Attachments

• OT Rotation.JPG
    OT Rotation.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 2
  • OT Rotation 2.JPG
    OT Rotation 2.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Is the computer you are using now still using Excel 365?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back