Creating multilevel level Bill of Materials (BOM) from table with only parent and child data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Howcroft

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am trying to convert a report with BOM line data that shows the parent assembly in column A and the child component in column F (see below screenshot). All the data for the child component is contained in each row, with the parent assembly listed for each BOM line. However, the child components are used in multiple parent assemblies and the child component can also contain further subassemblies and eventually last level components, therefore they are parent items in column A also.

What I require is a method of converting the data into an exploded multilevel BOM (see bottom screenshot), but preferably in a regular Excel table. There are currently 86,000 lines and once the further levels are applied this will vastly increase the number of lines (but hopefully Excel should be able to handle this).

I have seen a coulpe of methods online using Power Query but I'm hoping this can be done using either Power Pivot or VBA.

Any help would be vastly appreciated 🤞

Report in Excel format
1696391229722.png

Hierarchy BOM required
1696391022771.png

Attachments

• 1696390893904.png
    1696390893904.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 28

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Creating multi level Bill of Materials (BOM) from single level table
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Creating multi level Bill of Materials (BOM) from single level table
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Hi,

Many apologies for the cross posting, I now fully understand the reasoning behind the issue, it won't happen again.

I would like to edit my original post as it has been brought to my attention that it is far too complicated and requires better/simpler visual information. However, when I try to edit I am unable to remove the attachments/images or include new ones.

Is there something I am missing here or is this how the system works? If this is how the system works then I believe my original post will not gain any replies and I may as well start over, but it seems from the Forum rules that I shouldn't create duplicate queries. I have composed my new post and it is considerably different to the first. Are you able to advise of what my options are please?

Many thanks in advance and apologies again for the cross posting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back