Creating Taylor Diagrams in Excel

davidhall

Board Regular
I'm trying to create a Taylor Diagram using excel and I'm looking to see if someone knows where I can obtain a template and/or instructions on how to do it.

Any help is much appreciated.

The cell next to the "Observed" label defines the radius of the dashed arc you see on the chart. If you want to have a data point as well then you need to add another point to your data - and a suitable label.

Sorry, the chart does not support centered root-mean square errors. However, if you can describe how they should be plotted I will see if I can add it.

Regards,

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Sorry, the chart does not support centered root-mean square errors.
First, I should explain, I do not understand the diagrams, I just wrote the program to turn some numbers into a chart.

However, looking back in this thread I think I have been here before. Taylor Diagrams plot three variables all at once, however, you only need to supply two numbers. The reason that works is because the variables are related. The document mentioned earlier in this thread has a summary and it is defined here as well: http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov/about/staff/Taylor/CV/Taylor_diagram_primer.htm

So, I think you only need the first two rows of data called StdDev and Correlation. The dotted arcs on the diagram show the RMSE values and you just read it off - no need to enter it separately.

Does that sound right to you?

Regards,

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thank you so much for clarifying my doubt! Yeah, you are right that the third variable - RMSE - is calculated automatically, and it is represented by the distance from the observed point to the Arc 2. I got your point. But, Arc 2 has some value on it in the graph, as you can also see in the pdf you have shared with me. Nevertheless, you are already taking the Arc 2 value in the chart, but it does not appear in the graph. I was just wondering how to show the value of Arc 2 in the graph, so it will be easy to analyze from the graph.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzDSn8_trYXNMXJjUU95elAzbVk

Could you please help adding the ARC 2 value in the graph similar to pdf file you have shared?

Regards and Thanks

Upvote 0
OK. I think I understand now. Thank you for explaining.

You want the ARC2 arcs to be labeled with a number so that you can easily read off the value. Is that right?

You can work out the number by counting the arcs and counting along the data cells for ARC2 - but I can see that might be tiresome. :)

Changing the charts should be possible but it will take some time - particularly as it is 1:30 am here now and I am going to bed!

If you can confirm, please, that I am now understanding the problem correctly then I will make the change.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Yeah exactly! I mean labeling the ARC 2 so that it could easily be read off while explaining the graph because we won't have chart that time. Hey, no rush! Take your time! No problem. I have already shared the file with you, so, if you want, you can also work in that one.

Thank you so much for your kind help and giving valuable time!

Regards and Thanks,

Upvote 0
No problem.

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gyqc24iesrjoes/Taylor Diagram V1_1.xlsm?dl=0

It is an xlsm file. It is in the category of "well, it worked once" at the moment. :) If you find anything that needs fixing then please let me know.

At some point I will create an Add-In version (xlam) of the file, too.

Please notice that the "preview" version of the file you used is not current so you will see some, hopefully small, changes. I seem to have lots of versions on my PC so I need to do some tidying up if things are not going to get into a mess.

By the way, all versions create a new chart every time you hit the button so you can end up with lots of charts all overlaid. This can make things a bit slow and will use lots of file space. However, it is a quick way of producing lots of charts. Consequently, I am not sure whether users would prefer to have the old chart deleted every time or whether to leave it as it is.

Regards,

Upvote 0
OK, I have incorporated some more updates.

I have also decided to stick with just the .xlsm version of the spreadsheet because an Add In version, .xlam, can be made very easily from it. Just do a Save As and select the xlam extension. It is much harder to do this the other way and it saves me having to update two versions.

The RMS Error labels have been added and these are laid out in arcs and lines to make them easy to find.
The chart size has been increased slightly.
The plot area should now always be square - it is certainly more square then previously.
Old charts are now deleted. I expect most assumed that anyway but it saves space and processing time.
The link remains the same: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gyqc24iesrjoes/Taylor Diagram V1_1.xlsm?dl=0
The version number is now V1_1.
Other versions have been removed.

Regards,

Upvote 0
This is a repeat of the above post because I re-edited the Dropbox file and needed a new link - Apologies. :oops:

OK, I have incorporated some more updates.

I have also decided to stick with just the .xlsm version of the spreadsheet because an Add In version, .xlam, can be made very easily from it. Just do a Save As and select the xlam extension. It is much harder to do this the other way and it saves me having to update two versions.

The RMS Error labels have been added and these are laid out in arcs and lines to make them easy to find.
The chart size has been increased slightly.
The plot area should now always be square - it is certainly more square then previously.
Old charts are now deleted. I expect most assumed that anyway but it saves space and processing time.
The link remains the same: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jei7zewyhw1ieer/Taylor Diagram V1_1.xlsm?dl=0
The version number is now V1_1.
Other versions have been removed.

Regards,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for helping me out with the incorporating labels for RMSE, it worked now, and looking great! I was busy with my other work so could not get back to you soon, I am sorry about that.
I am seeing the saved file working fine in xlsm extension then what's the difference if I save in .xlam extension. However, I tried to find .xlam extension while doing "save as", but only found .xla extension. I don't know what the difference changing the extension from .xlsm to .xlam will make.

Regards and Thanks,

Ranjeet

Upvote 0
If you have a version of Excel more recent than 2003 then you should have the option of .xlam. Earlier versions use .xla.

As to the difference, the short answer is, if you don't know then you probably should not be using it. :)

.xlam means that it is an "Add In". Add Ins allow you to use Excel and "bolt on" extra tools as required. So instead of having to make copies of the basic .xlsm file each time you needed to use it you could just add in the Taylor Diagram tool. The Extra icon would appear and you could make some Taylor charts. Many Add Ins have already been written to cover all kinds of extra processing you might want to do with Excel.

regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back