creating Xcelsius reports by VBA

poiu

Hi,

I have a suite of reports for 15 departments across 8 countries (so more than 100 permutations). I'd like to make the coding behind the reports simpler (and the reports more attractive) by using Xcelsius - but does anyone know if it's possible to create Xcelsius reports automatically? (I'd like to create standard templates and then populate them with a set of data).

Thanks,

Poiu

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
You cannot create Xcelsius using VBA. If your visual model is same, then you can build one xlf model as a template and just import the new data set using the options in Xcelsius and generate the flash file.

Apart from this, if your data is stored in the database, you can build your model in Xcelsius and connect to the database from Xcelsius with Department and Country as your filter in the dashboard. This way you just build one dashboard and as soon a new set of data updated in the database will be immediately reflected in the dashboard.

Upvote 0
You cannot create Xcelsius using VBA. If your visual model is same, then you can build one xlf model as a template and just import the new data set using the options in Xcelsius and generate the flash file.

Apart from this, if your data is stored in the database, you can build your model in Xcelsius and connect to the database from Xcelsius with Department and Country as your filter in the dashboard. This way you just build one dashboard and as soon a new set of data updated in the database will be immediately reflected in the dashboard.

Thanks but the data I am using is confidential so I need to make sure that people in a Department within a Country can't see any other departments or countries. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Poiu

Upvote 0
It depends upon the way you are sharing the dashboard with end users. If this is via a portal, with login and password then you can maintain a user profile in the portal user management and dashboard can be configured to check for the user profile and display profile specific data.

Upvote 0
Thanks, sounds very interesting!

Please could you tell me what you mean by portal? Should I have a front sheet on the Xcelsius report which requires them to enter a username and password? Or do you mean that Xcelsius can check for the user's username on the intranet - in Excel VBA I can use the "Application.UserName" function to successfully get viewer's username - can this or something similar be used in Xcelsius somehow?

Thank you!

Poiu

Upvote 0
When I said portal, it could be the intranet web site which you are using to share your dashboard. I assume that the user have to enter a user id and password to login to intranet to view the dashboard. Based on the software/technology behind the intranet, you will have to develop a small script which will let the Xcelsius know the user name and in Xcelsius you have to add a flash variable to consume that. Now using this flash variable you will be able restrict the user's view based on the contry/Department he belongs to

Upvote 0
Thanks aditya.

I'm just contracting at a blue chip company, is this something that is easy for an IT department to do (i.e. a couple of hundred pounds)? or would it be a major world-wide project to get implemented?

Upvote 0
Thanks aditya.

I'm just contracting at a blue chip company, is this something that is easy for an IT department to do (i.e. a couple of hundred pounds)? or would it be a major world-wide project to get implemented?

It's not a major development. Some one with a knowledge on how to embed a flash file and a Good Xcelsius Developer together would be able finish this in few days.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g wiggle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back