csv files - data shifting over to the right?

mattbnorris

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Whenever I open a csv I get this warning message:
1692191050238.png

Furthermore, my data shift's over to the right, there is an example below but the issue can be random - it may add lots of different empty rows and shift a few rows over to the right, or sometimes the data overlays the rows on top of each other or sometimes it's just one row shunted to the right. All my other other colleagues see the same data loss message, but never get the same data issues with it all shifting over to the right. This is particularly annoying when I have to open these sheets and link into them.
1692191289141.png

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
If it's a CSV file, check the CSV file using a text editor to find out what it really contains.
The image you've posted implies rows 5 to 15 have thirteen commas before any of the data starts.
Are you saying the SAME csv file opens differently between you and your colleagues?

Upvote 0
If it's a CSV file, check the CSV file using a text editor to find out what it really contains.
The image you've posted implies rows 5 to 15 have thirteen commas before any of the data starts.
Are you saying the SAME csv file opens differently between you and your colleagues?
Yes exactly, the same csv opens differently for me than it does for my colleagues.

Also the same csv opens differently for me every time I open it, for example it may open up with the data shifted over to the right (like my image), but then I can close it down and open the same csv 5 mins later and the data on the same columns will be overlapping instead of shifting over fully.

I've opened the csv within notepad and there are no extra commas between these shifting rows.

Upvote 0
Sounds more like a graphic problem. Maybe update the graphic driver?
It seems to be more than a graphic issue / visual glitch if i'm honest - it literally shifts the data over.

For example, if my colleague opens it and sums the value column in our data it would equal 250,000. Whereas if I open the same csv and the data shifts over and I sum the same column it will be less than 250,000. So it definitely seems like a data loss issue. I'm thinking maybe a reinstall of Excel could fix it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back