Custom Access Databases 3rd Party Support

austin3515

Board Regular
I have several custom databases that we're using in house. Are there firms that specializes in backstopping those types of products? So for example if I were to up and quit, would there be a company that could say "Hey we can support your custom designed Access Databases" maybe on some sort of a retainer. Just looking for recommendations or even what the applicable google search term would be.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I think one would just typically hire a programmer experienced in Access programming or a consultant or consulting firm that does Access database work.

Regardless of whether you hire an individual or a consultant/consulting firm, they are still going to try to have to learn or reverse engineer the databases to understand them, unless there is really good documentation on them.

Upvote 0
Thats actuall somewhat pn point which is I would expect them to try and help developthe documentation with whomever built it. Do you know of any firms that do it?

Upvote 0
Thats actuall somewhat pn point which is I would expect them to try and help developthe documentation with whomever built it. Do you know of any firms that do it?
That is precisely what Consulting firms usually offer.
You just need to look for ones that offer/specialize in Access database development.

I would start by looking at IT Consulting Firms in your area.

Upvote 0
I have several custom databases that we're using in house. Are there firms that specializes in backstopping those types of products? So for example if I were to up and quit, would there be a company that could say "Hey we can support your custom designed Access Databases" maybe on some sort of a retainer. Just looking for recommendations or even what the applicable google search term would be.
The person best to do that, would be yourself.
You know the business processes and how the systems should work?

Getting anyone in to understand a system, then document it, is going to cost you, bigtime. :)

Upvote 0
The person best to do that, would be yourself.
You know the business processes and how the systems should work?

Getting anyone in to understand a system, then document it, is going to cost you, bigtime. :)
Very true. Consultants seldom come cheap, and I doubt you want to be paying them indefinitely, which is why I was thinking it might be better to hire someone in-house!

Upvote 0
If you wish to leave the employer that you leave/retire from in a better position, you can do a lot to facilitate that by documenting all the code as if you were instructing a 2 year old as to what is going on - or maybe even a Venutian (and no, I don't mean someone from Venice).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back