Custom formula required to verify if hyperlinks in a spreadhseet are working or broken

Zouzouni

Hello, I'm new to VBA and need a solution to this rather sooner than I expect I will be able to learn to code it myself. I hope someone can help in the meantime. I am using Excel 2010, and Windows 2008 Server.

I have a single-sheet spreadsheet with 1000+ records in it, and growing all the time. The spreadsheet is in the same folder in SharePoint as 1000+ PDFs. The spreadsheet acts as an index to the PDFs. The records are numbered sequentially in column A. Each value in column A is a hyperlink to the PDF associated with that record, and opens the PDF when it is clicked on. The hyperlinks have been created by right-clicking on the cell and selecting Hyperlink, and navigating to the appropriate PDF to establish the link. The PDFs are http addressable.

Some of the hyperlinks in column A are broken for one reason or another, and some cells contain a value, but the hyperlink has not yet been defined. I want to insert a new column B, where each cell will contain a custom formula, eg. =CHECKLINK(A1), to determine if the hyperlink in column A is working, broken, or not defined, and display "OK", "BROKEN", or "NONE" in column B. I do not want to open the PDFs, just check the status of the links to them. Then I can filter column B for broken or missing hyperlinks, and take corrective action.

Any help much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back