Excel hyperlinks not working after moving workbook location.

IdkWhatImDoing

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that consists of MANY links, the links take me to the manuals of different parts. My set up is this:

Column A: File location to the general folder that has all the manuals - created by hyperlinking the file location. (Ex: ..\manuals)
Column B: the manufacturer (Ex: Apple)
Column C: Part number/name (Ex: iphone10)
Column D: combines the information above to create the file path (=A1 & "\" & B1 & "\" & C1 & ".pdf). (Ex: ..\Manuals\Apple\iphone10.pdf)
Column E: hyperlink function using the file path from col D.

***it is important to note that all these files are in the google drive desktop application/server.

So my links all work perfectly fine and open up the manuals perfectly, but whenever the workbook is moved elsewhere, the links no longer work and I get a "cannot open specified file" error.

This workbook is used in a construction company and the goal is to be able to copy and paste it into the job folders every time we receive a new job, so the workbook needs to have the capability to be moved and still function.
However I cannot copy and paste or use the "save as" option because the hyperlinks will break.

I have hundreds and hundreds of hyperlinks, so going through and editing them is not an option.

Attachments

• workbook example.PNG
    workbook example.PNG
    151.2 KB · Views: 27
  • workbook example 2.PNG
    workbook example 2.PNG
    136.1 KB · Views: 28
  • workbook G2 file hyperlink.PNG
    workbook G2 file hyperlink.PNG
    158.9 KB · Views: 28

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
I have a workbook that consists of MANY links, the links take me to the manuals of different parts. My set up is this:

Column A: File location to the general folder that has all the manuals - created by hyperlinking the file location. (Ex: ..\manuals)
Column B: the manufacturer (Ex: Apple)
Column C: Part number/name (Ex: iphone10)
Column D: combines the information above to create the file path (=A1 & "\" & B1 & "\" & C1 & ".pdf). (Ex: ..\Manuals\Apple\iphone10.pdf)
Column E: hyperlink function using the file path from col D.

***it is important to note that all these files are in the google drive desktop application/server.

So my links all work perfectly fine and open up the manuals perfectly, but whenever the workbook is moved elsewhere, the links no longer work and I get a "cannot open specified file" error.

This workbook is used in a construction company and the goal is to be able to copy and paste it into the job folders every time we receive a new job, so the workbook needs to have the capability to be moved and still function.
However I cannot copy and paste or use the "save as" option because the hyperlinks will break.

I have hundreds and hundreds of hyperlinks, so going through and editing them is not an option.
Hello @IdkWhatImDoing

Well from the sound of it, it seems that this maybe the way things work. Unless you have the same path from all the computers that you use then that is normal behavior. For example:

I tell you to go to London, England from New York City, USA that would be a path. But if I tell you to go to London, from San Francisco, USA well that is a whole different path. yes part of it will be the same, but not the whole path.

Try in on a local drive and see how it works, and then change the path of a different network drive.

What I would suggest it to record a macro opening or saving a workbook to the google drive and see the path and try and manipulate it for your needs.

Best of luck, if you still need help come back and let us know.

Monty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back