Custom vlookup function?

AceFI

Board Regular
hi all.
I'm wanting to create my own formula function, but not too sure where to begin..

basic; =WhichState(A1)

3931VIC
4000QLD
6000WA
2011NSW

<tbody>
</tbody>

at the moment i'm using a =left, plus a vlookup and its a bit messy, and it gets used in a ton of my spreadsheets..

any tips for getting started?

TIA

the import file is a CSV... previously when using the vlookup method, i had to have a separate col. again =int(etc)
i've attached a screenshot of the output
Screen%20Shot%202018-04-17%20at%205.07.47%20pm.png
The image doesn't really help much I'm afraid, as we can't also see the code. However, I guess it's unlikely you spelled such a simple word incorrectly in either place. :)

The formula in the active cell in your screen shot should actually be =State(F4) by my counting, though that should not be related to the #NAME ? error.

The only way I can make that error is to make the formula something like =StateF4
Again, unlikely you have done that.

What version of Excel & what Operating System are you using?

Can you upload a copy of the file (any sensitive information removed) to a file-share site (eg Dropbox), make sure it is shared & provide a link to the file?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Ensure the UDF is in a regular Module not the sheet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Peters 12 lines of code, far outweigh a named range in this instance

? Really.
Select B1. Then go to the Name manager.
Make a named Range State that uses your Formula as the Refences = Vlookup(A1,named_range,2,0)
Then in the cell the value is desired to be returned =State
The Lookup value would be in the cell 1 to the left.

I think that's far less code.:cool:

I too often forget the ability to use a formula in a "Named" range to replace more complex formulas when I can.
One advantage is you do not have to deal with macro security issues.

Upvote 0
? Really.
Select B1. Then go to the Name manager.
Make a named Range State that uses your Formula as the Refences = Vlookup(A1,named_range,2,0)
Then in the cell the value is desired to be returned =State
The Lookup value would be in the cell 1 to the left.

I think that's far less code.:cool:

I too often forget the ability to use a formula in a "Named" range to replace more complex formulas when I can.
One advantage is you do not have to deal with macro security issues.

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said in Post 2 above. Though having looked at the required complexity I still would go with 12 lines of code

Upvote 0
Thank you for repeating exactly what I said in Post 2 above. Though having looked at the required complexity I still would go with 12 lines of code

no, not the same. Post #2 indicates the formula in each cell.
I suggest the formula in the Named Range, reducing the formula in each cell to
Code:
=State

Upvote 0
If the OP follows the instructions I gave, the UDF will be in a standard module.

It's a good tiny bit of code that gets the job done. Luckily Australian post codes have a numeric regularity, UK and Canadian.
The only addition the OP may want would be how values not in any Case range are handled. Currently returns blank if code is Invalid. I would think it may be better to return something more definitive.

If I was in need for my own desk such a function, I would likely stick with Peter's type of solution, unless I was in PowerQuery/Data Model.
Usually three decent ways to accomplish the same end, it just depends on end-use as to which ones rise to the top.

After selecting the function and finishing the edit, you will likely have, which references where the code for the function is stored.
Code:
=Personal.xlsb!State(F4)

Upvote 0
It's a good tiny bit of code that gets the job done. Luckily Australian post codes have a numeric regularity, UK and Canadian.
The only addition the OP may want would be how values not in any Case range are handled. Currently returns blank if code is Invalid. I would think it may be better to return something more definitive.

If I was in need for my own desk such a function, I would likely stick with Peter's type of solution, unless I was in PowerQuery/Data Model.
Usually three decent ways to accomplish the same end, it just depends on end-use as to which ones rise to the top.

After selecting the function and finishing the edit, you will likely have, which references where the code for the function is stored.
Code:
=Personal.xlsb!State(F4)

It wouldn't work with UK PostCodes, far to much variability (about 50 properties average each)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back