Customui Problem

anthonya2369

I have an excel add-in that uses the customui to add a tab to Excel for users. It has been working great for both Excel 2010 and Excel 2013. However, yesterday, after what appears to be an update on our company computers, the Excel 2010 users do not see the custom tab. Excel 2013 users are fine. Once the user clicks on any cell, Excel crashes. I know why the crash is occurring and it is due to the ribbon.invalidate and when it gets to copymemory, there is no tab so no pointer to reference so it crashes.

Excel 2010 and 2013 utilize the same customui14.xml file so I am unsure why it works fine for the Excel 2013 users but not the Excel 2010. What is weird as well is that I have an On Load event for the customui and it fires fine on Excel 2013 with the input of a msgbox "test" but it does not even show up on the Excel 2010 as if the ribbon is not even trying to load.

Any guess where to look? I have ensured on the 2010 machines that the add-ins be disables is unchecked. I am at a loss and as I said, all users were fine two days ago.

It is hard to figure out as well since my machine is running Excel 2013 now instead of 2010. The add-in does load since my right click functions are intact and run now that I have it not run the ribbon invalidate on 14.0 versions of Excel.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I'm having the same problem. It just started today. Except for us it has affected uses of Excel 2010 and Excel 2013. The VBA will still run, but the custom ribbon has stopped working. Please post back if you figure anything out... I'll do the same!

Upvote 0
Ok, the company just pushed Office 2013 to the remaining 2010 users and they are still having problems where the tabs are not showing. It is working fine on mine and others that manually installed Office 2013 via Run Advertised programs. However, the ones that were pushed the update at night are not working and doing the same thing that the Excel 2010 is/was doing. What could prevent the tabs from showing up? A registry setting on those machines? A security setting?

Upvote 0
Have you checked the option to show add-in interface errors? It may help to give you a clue as to what the issue is when the file is loading.

Upvote 0
I just turned it on and it indicated that the policy disabled the custom ui in the document. I talked to IT and they had me run a Policy Update on the 2013 machine and it corrected the issue. However, the 2010 machines did not get corrected running this but they are all updating this week to 2013 so they will just have to manage. Thanks Rory!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back