Data doesn't show in chart

irontis

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,

Let's start saying that my Excel knowledge is very basic and when it comes to charts is less than zero. However, I am trying to find how to work with it through tutorials as I need it for a urgent project.

Using data from a report I have, I am trying to pull a basic column graph that shows two values in comparison. Although, once I generate the graph from the data, there's no column appearing even if the data seems selected correctly. Please see screen below:

1654908418317.png

I have literally watched 7 different tutorials, and they all do the same thing to pull up a basic graph. Mine always comes blank for some reason and I don't seem to get the columns, lines or whatever even if I change the style of graph. Maybe it's something really easy, I just can't seem to find the problem.

Thanks in advance for your time, and I hope you can help me :)

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Please copy from A3:E12 and paste the data directly into your post. That will allow us to paste it into an Excel sheet and create a graph. Few people will take the time to type it all in from a screen shot. It's hard to diagnose what's wrong without being able to see the details of how your chart is built, but we can probably explain how to build what you want.

Upvote 0
Sorry for that, I didn't think of it, actually. Is it okay like this, or should I use the mini-sheet function?

Ranker
Rank positionPropertyITRElite
1Rome (ROMWV)84.671.4
2Doha (DOHWH)78.279.4
3Amman (AMMWI)76.480.0
4Ibiza (IBZWH)73.864.1
5Muscat (MCTWH)73.261.9
6Verbier (GVAWH)71.273.9
7Abu Dhabi - Yas Island (AUHWH)69.669.9
8Istanbul (ISTWH)69.275.0
9Amsterdam (AMSWH)68.871.8
10London (LONHW)68.371.8
11Dubai - The Palm (DXBTP)64.560.3
12Barcelona (BCNWH)61.855.8

Upvote 0
I select the data, go to Insert > Recommended Charts > Column Chart and BINGO I get a chart. Specifically what steps are you taking?

Edit: I just noticed you have hidden column C. That may be part of the problem, depending on how you selected your data for the chart. I pasted the data like you presented it, in four adjacent columns.

irontis0.jpg
irontis1.jpg

Upvote 0
I am literally following the same steps you mentioned, Insert > Recommended Charts > Column Chart. But it still appears blank or only select portion of the data, which if I then try to amend manually from the filters doesn't work and the graph blanks out completely.

I thought it was the hidden column, but I literally opened a new sheet and pasted the same data I gave you above and the same thing happen. Could I be very lucky and having a corrupted version of excel?

The chart you attached for me works and I see it perfectly, and I can also change and move the data within. So I really don't understand :(

I have attached the file I am originally trying to edit and where I took the data from. Maybe you can spot what's the issue from there?

Upvote 0
The file doesn't open. Excel says the format doesn't match the extension or there is a corruption. I highly recommend you use only the .xlsx format rather than the obsolete .xls format.

Upvote 0
I suspect the data is not numeric but numbers stored as text, since the apparent number format in the cells is 0.0 but in the chart is 0,0. Text will plot as zero values, despite the appearance of numbers.

To fix this, copy a blank cell, select the data range, and use Paste Special, Values, Operation: Add.

To avoid this problem in the future, don't center align everything, instead use the general setting for horizontal alignment. This aligns text (including numbers stored as text) to the left and numbers to the right. This is a very effective visual cue about the data. Also, don't disable error checking, so errors, including numbers stored as text will be flagged with a small green tringle in the top of the cells.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads-up, I will keep it in mind for the future.

However, I checked and the data in all the cells is stored as numbers and not text. Or at least that what it seems like.

I also had a colleague of mine to download the same report from our work platform, and he managed straight away to generate the graph from the same file. So I am not really sure still why I can't manage to succeed in such an easy task.

Upvote 0
Also, I am attaching again the report as I am downloading it from my work cloud. @6StringJazzer sorry it is downloading automatically in .xls from the website. I resaved it in .xlsx, and hopefully you can now open it correctly :)

Upvote 0
You might want to get your colleague to show you what he is doing differently when he downloads it because in your file the figures as text.

Propertyranker YTD.xls.xlsx
ABCDEF
3Rank positionPropertyIntent to Recommend (Property)Elite AppreciationIsText CIsText D
41W Rome (ROMWV)83.977.4TRUETRUE
52W Algarve (FAOWH)77.875.0TRUETRUE
63W Istanbul (ISTWH)76.281.9TRUETRUE
74W Muscat (MCTWH)75.469.5TRUETRUE
85W Doha (DOHWH)74.978.1TRUETRUE
96W Dubai - The Palm (DXBTP)74.272.9TRUETRUE
107W Amman (AMMWI)72.673.9TRUETRUE
118W Verbier (GVAWH)69.950.7TRUETRUE
129W Abu Dhabi - Yas Island (AUHWH)69.764.6TRUETRUE
1310W Ibiza (IBZWH)68.168.4TRUETRUE
1411W Dubai – Mina Seyahi (DXBMW)67.463.6TRUETRUE
1512W Barcelona (BCNWH)63.354.3TRUETRUE
1613W London (LONHW)62.968.6TRUETRUE
1714W Amsterdam (AMSWH)48.262.6TRUETRUE
Propertyranker YTD
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E4:F17E4=ISTEXT(C4)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back