Data Validation - clarification wanted

Icy Pilgrim

Hi all,

I'm simply looking for some clarity on how the Ignore Blanks option works within Data Validation. It was always my belief that unticking this would prevent the user from leaving the relevant cell blank. For instance, if the user deleted the contents of a validated cell but did not subsequently enter a replacement value. I'm fairly sure this is how I used it years ago when a cell on a form was mandatory.

However, playing around with this today and that doesn't seem to be the case (using the list option within DV)

Would really appreciate if someone can tell me how this should work.

Many Thanks in advance

IP

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
This reminds me of a similar and at first, seemingly illogical result in Access re: ignore nulls in a composite index. Putting the option selection into other words, blanks (in my case, nulls) are not even considered in validation or testing - they are, as the option states - ignored altogether.
HTH.

Upvote 0
In a cell with data validation (any flavor), enter a valid value. If you do not check Ignore Blanks, delete that item and leaving an empty cell will not trigger an error. Why not?

I think that is what the OP is asking about.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back