Data validation dropdown arrow moving

TheJay

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello there, I've come across a problem with my dropdown list. The arrow moves from the normal place by the side of the data validation list to several cells lower depending on the selection made. Has anyone else come across this before? I need to stop it from happening.

SBqJ7H0.png

y4OrZyT.png

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
This sometimes happens when the data validation is inadvertently copied to more cells. When you select the cell with the second/unwanted arrow, and then select Data/Data Validation, does it say "any value" (it should) or does it indicate some condition for that cell?

Upvote 0
I believe this is a bug that could be fixed by switching sheets and switching back. It's similar to when Excel get's laggy, and you click one place and it selects somewhere else.

Upvote 0
I'm not able to isolate the issue properly, because it only seems to happen when I lock the worksheet and a number of rows are hidden (so I am not sure which one the arrow is moving to). The worksheet has two dropdown lists. When the one shown is selected and then the second has a value chosen, it seems that's when it starts happening. The first dropdown (pictured previously) has four choices and the arrow only moves when user selects the first choice. Any other option and the arrow moves back to the correct place?

Upvote 0
This is causing me a problem, making it difficult for people to use the worksheet. Has anyone got a solution?

Upvote 0
The problem seems to disappear if I unhide cells and reappear when I show them again. That's a problem though, as I need to hide the relevant rows.

Upvote 0
I've attached a sample worksheet.

Click the green cell and the the arrow and choose "Example" from the validation drop down list. Then hit the reset button and change the green cell by choosing "Formatting" and you will see the problem occur. Change between "Formatting" and "Example" and it keeps happening when choosing "Formatting".

Upvote 0
Thats some impressive stuff with how your workbook is like an app. I turned gridlines on and it seems to have fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Try just adding this line near the end of your Worksheet_Change code.

Rich (BB code):
            If Target = "Formatting" Then formatting.EntireRow.Hidden = False
            If Target = "Example" Then example.EntireRow.Hidden = False
            If Target = "Instructions" Then instructions.EntireRow.Hidden = False
            If Target = "Help" Then help.EntireRow.Hidden = False
        End With
        Range("B2").Select
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thats some impressive stuff with how your workbook is like an app. I turned gridlines on and it seems to have fixed it.
It really helps with user friendliness to prevent users from needing to scroll and having as little information displayed at a time.
Try just adding this line near the end of your Worksheet_Change code.

Rich (BB code):
            If Target = "Formatting" Then formatting.EntireRow.Hidden = False
            If Target = "Example" Then example.EntireRow.Hidden = False
            If Target = "Instructions" Then instructions.EntireRow.Hidden = False
            If Target = "Help" Then help.EntireRow.Hidden = False
        End With
        Range("B2").Select
    End If
End Sub
Thank you, I will test this and come back. Out of interest, what are your thoughts behind this being a fix?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back