Data Validation - Show values in drop-down based on another cell

Basis

Hi,

I am running into the issue that my drop-down list becomes too long, because there is too much data to work with.

We make an export out of an ERP system, which gives us 2 columns(let's call them Columns Chair & Desk) and about 3.000 rows of data. As you can imagine, multiple chairs go with multiple desks, but not all of them. So after entering the Chair cell, I want Excel to only show the values of the Desks that go with the chair that was picked.

When searching for a solution, I keep comming across the solution where you have to manually create tables for all of the chairs/desk combinations. Since this file has to be updated weekly(new Chairs and Desks with different combinations get made often) and we are talking about 3.000 rows of possible combinations, I am not looking to create tables for this manually as it would take way too much time.

Is there a way to have Excel match the Chair that was entered to all of the possible Desks that go with it and have the drop-down list only show those desks?

Thank you in advance,
Bas
PS: I wanted to post an example of the workbook I am using, but cannot find the possibility to upload it.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back