Data Validation - The list source must be a delimited list Error

glitch0x6

Ok, I have been searching all over the place to an answer to this problem. I am using a =IF(A1=5,List1,IF(A1=2,List2,"")) style data validation function for my lists. It is, and has been, working perfectly.

Today I was asked to add another option to generate a new list. Should be easy. I opened the data validation and typed in my extra segment. When I tried to save it, I got a warning to the tune of "The list source must be a delimited list". So i retyped it and the same thing happened. So I removed it, and the same thing happened. That was weird, so i cancelled out. My lists were still functional and everything was nice and seamless. I went back into Data Validation, but this time I did not touch anything except "OK" at the bottom. Again, absolutely nothing was changed to any strings. I just clicked open validation, then ok to close it again. And the warning popped up on the equation the program is currently using! I am at a complete loss.

To make matters even worse, I opened another workbook with the exact same equation with the exact same references (values in list are different) and no warning popped up. To add insult to injury, I was completely able to rewrite it with out error. Does any one have a clue as to what is happening?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
=IF(A1=5,List1,IF(A1=2,List2,""))

is A1 not equal to either 5 or 2 when you get this error

maybe
=IF(A1=5,List1,IF(A1=2,List2,emptyList)) would help ( where you create a single cell named range called empty list)

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you. That worked brilliantly. I have no idea why the other one is functioning, or why this was working for months without error, but I don't care as long as it works. Thanks for your help. I never would have thought to put a null list in.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I am facing the issue as this formula is not working in data validation.

=OR(IF(AND(C1="FR";C2="ASU");ASU_SSL);IF(AND(C1="FR";C2="TAX");TAX_SSL);IF(AND(C1="FR";C2="ADV");ADV_SSL);IF(AND(C1="FR";C2="TAS");TAS_SSL;ADMIN_SSL))

Kindly help me please.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxkapoor

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back