Data validation: Valid date + Age of majority

gerotutu

Hi experts!

I have been trying to make a data validation work. It's simple. I need to be sure, firstly that the data in column I is a valid date. Secondly, if the column D is not "NIT" it should be greater than 1/1/1900. For any other value in column D I need to be sure that the date is more than 18 years old.

I built this formula but despite it works in a normal cell, it doesn't work in the "custom data validation" option

=IF(OR(NOT(ISBLANK(I3));DATE(YEAR(I3);MONTH(I3);DAY(I3)));IF(D3="NIT";I3>=DATE(1;1;1900);TODAY()-I3>=6575);FALSE)

Any clue why? Many thanks!
Gerónimo

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
So if value in D = "NIT" then date must be 18 years old
if value in D is other than NIT any date after 1/1/1900 (eg today) will do

If that is what you want Try this =IF(D3="NIT",AND(ISNUMBER(I3),I3 <=edate(today(),-216)),AND(ISNUMBER(I3),I3 > 1 ))

The EDATE part of formula checks that date is 216 months (12 x 18 = 216) months earlier than today

Upvote 0
It was the other way around so I just changed the "=" with "<>" and seems to work perfectly!

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
Maybe you could help me again for another data validation. I need to check if the field that is completed in column W is a number of at least 7 characters and in the case the field in column V is "TARJETA_CREDITO" I do the check that is below inside the XOR (some basic rules to validate different types of credit cards).

I tried it out in a normal cell and it works but it does not work properly when I use it as data validation.

=IF(V3="TARJETA_CREDITO";
AND(ISNUMBER(VALUE(W3));XOR(AND(LENGTH(W3)=14;LEFT(W3;2)="36");AND(LENGTH(W3)=16;OR(LEFT(W3;1)="5";LEFT(W3;1)="4"));AND(LENGTH(W3)=15;LEFT(W3;2)="37")));
AND(LENGTH(W3)>=7;ISNUMBER(VALUE(W3)))
)

Why the data validation only works when I select "TARJETA_CREDITO? The other path of the IF never works.
Thanks, again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back