DAX SUM function per group

martijnvanderveldt

Hi Guys!

I am working in Power BI Desktop (Similar as Power Query) which uses DAX. I have 3 columns:, Response ID, Brand and Volume. Since I have around 50 brands per ID, the Response ID is shown 50 times. Now I want to summarize the total volume PER Response ID in a separate column, but when I use a SUM function, it sums all response ID's up while I want to sum the volume based on response ID (Thus combining the volume of the 50 brands into one sum showing for each ID, thus 50 times the same value per ID). Simply grouping wouldn't work since I later want to calculate the market share per ID.

Now I am new in DAX so I haven't found the right formula yet.

Anyone any idea how to pull this one off?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I feel like I am missing something.

Given, just the simple measure:
Total Volume := SUM(MyTable[Volume])

If you work with [Total Volume] in values and Response Id (and/or Brand, really) on rows... does that give you what you want, or no?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, both options don't work. Power BI Desktop is not the most DAX friendly software yet, but its getting there. If I use the simple SUM function, it just sums all volumes together as a total, but does not do so separately for the brands. It doesn't allow to use the SUMIF function either unfortunately. That's why I am looking for a separate formula which might be in there which can do the trick.

Upvote 0
Why not use M then?:

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Tabelle3"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Volume", type number}}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"ResponseID"},#"Changed Type",{"ResponseID"},"NewColumn"),
#"Aggregated NewColumn" = Table.AggregateTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {{"Volume", List.Sum, "SumPerResponseID"}})
in
#"Aggregated NewColumn"

This code will add the desired column (as far as I've understood it) into your source table.

Upvote 0
Might be best to do what Imke suggests in your case, but ... if you create a grid, with Brand on rows, and the Total in Values... I still think you get what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back